Problems w/ MPK49 & Ableton external clock

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ag101

Problems w/ MPK49 & Ableton external clock

Post by ag101 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:00 am

Hey guys, I recently picked up an Akai MPK49 and have been having problems getting the external midi clock to function properly in order to get the note repeat and arpeggiator to sync correctly with the BPM in Ableton.

In the MPK49, I have the midi clock set to external, and I have opened up the drum rack in Ableton, but the pads don't seem to be making any sound whatsoever when I press on them.

On the keyboard, it shows that the pad is being pressed, and when I switch off to internal, the note repeat does work (albeit not synced to Live). The pads also work when I turn note repeat off..

I have tinkered with the midi settings but so far no luck.

So far my settings are as follows:

Input: MPK49 input - Track/Sync/Remote ON. Sync type - MIDI clock
Output MPK49 output - SYNC ON - Midi clock type - SONG.

I've turned everything on and really nothing has made a difference.

Someone please save me!!

Cheers

dentaku

Re: Problems w/ MPK49 & Ableton external clock

Post by dentaku » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:52 am

You don't need SYNC on for INUT only for OUTPUT if you have your MPK49 set to EXTERNAL.
The arpeggiator and the repeat for the pads also won't do anything unless Ableton Live is playing.

So...
Inut MPK49> ON OFF ON
Output MPK49> ON ON ON
Press Play
the arpegiator and repeat will work

Billtacular

Post by Billtacular » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:29 am

Thank you so much for the shortest and simplest answer to this! I've been looking for this for a long time, totally didn't occur to me to hit 'play' for the arp to work!

Now, I'm going to add on top of that question, and ask, with this method, if it's possible to control the tap tempo using the tap tempo key on the mpk49?

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 pm

No, the Tap Tempo button on an MPK doesn't seem to be able to send out any MIDI at all so it can't be used to control Live's tempo.
Billtacular wrote:Thank you so much for the shortest and simplest answer to this! I've been looking for this for a long time, totally didn't occur to me to hit 'play' for the arp to work!

Now, I'm going to add on top of that question, and ask, with this method, if it's possible to control the tap tempo using the tap tempo key on the mpk49?