Fix Sidechain mistake 1 of 2 ways ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
anybody human

Fix Sidechain mistake 1 of 2 ways ?

Post by anybody human » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Bounced all my midi drums to audio, have an Operator sine wave sub (& some pads) side chained to the kick. Forgot sub compressor's SC input was post FX from the kick, not Post Mixer, so now there's a 15 db (!) difference in what the sub bass compressor is detecting/listening to. I had the kick channel fader pulled down because it was eq'd, limited, compressed etc.

So, should I A.) Go back to the old midi drums set and record the Operator sub to audio? There might be ever so slight differences in the kick level that it's now listening to as opposed to when I bounced the midi/Simpler kick to audio the first time.

Or should I B.) Crank up the compressor's side chain input gain to compensate for the quiter signal it's getting from my new audio kick file? This works for getting the sub's gain reduction & channel level back to where it was, I'm just worried if that will effect the kick. Might be my imagination, don't know if it bleeds through the sub bass at all really.

This is how bad I am at music production, such a simple mistake. Two ways to fix it, not sure if it matters which way. Thanks for any help you could offer.

anybody human

Re: Fix Sidechain mistake 1 of 2 ways ?

Post by anybody human » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 pm

For now, increasing the compressor's side chain input gain 14.5db seems to work fine. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on the situation. Thanks.

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:27 am

Turning up the side chain input gain on the compressor does not do anything to the source audio, it only boosts it going into the compressor, so that's a good solution.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Mage2k wrote:Turning up the side chain input gain on the compressor does not do anything to the source audio, it only boosts it going into the compressor, so that's a good solution.
Thanks man :)