how to modulate parameters of synths during playback?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Pier25

how to modulate parameters of synths during playback?

Post by Pier25 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm

For example:

How can I modulate a filter of a virtual synth when the pattern is playing?

I've tried everything and the only solution is to create a new midi track and route the midi data to the desired track... which seems quite messy for such a simple thing which comes by default in most (if not all) midi sequencing DAWs.

Warrior Bob

Re: how to modulate parameters of synths during playback?

Post by Warrior Bob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Any reason track or clip automation doesn't work for you?

Pier25

Post by Pier25 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 am

That doesn't work because I want to modulate from a controller in realtime... without having to record the automation.

Isn't that the point of doing things LIVE?

Pier25

Post by Pier25 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:07 am

Bump

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Pier25 wrote:That doesn't work because I want to modulate from a controller in realtime... without having to record the automation.
Don't hit the record button before you start.. The 'Back To Arrangement' light should turn red, and any parameters you've tweaked will return to their values before you tweaked if you click it.

Pier25

Post by Pier25 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:05 am

If I don't hit the record button no midi is getting into the channel while the pattern is playing. No notes, and not midi CCs.

Can some post a step by step guid on how to do it?

I just want a pattern or block looping, and be able to send midi notes and midi CCs to the virtual synth without recording.

I've been looking into the manual, I've asked here, and even mailed support but can't get a answer on how to do such a simple thing.

noroch

Post by noroch » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 am

I have an idea, if you are using a VST try this:

look at the VST on the bottom window, should be an arrow, when you click this you should now have a configure button. click this, the VST should then open and any control you now select will be stored in the VST configure box. When you have all the controls you need assigned then set them in an instrument rack and assign a few dials to the controls you just configured, then you should be able to assign these to dials on your midi controller, if this is not what you are looking for I'm unsure as to how you do what you are looking for

trevox

Post by trevox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:09 pm

noroch wrote:I have an idea, if you are using a VST try this:

look at the VST on the bottom window, should be an arrow, when you click this you should now have a configure button. click this, the VST should then open and any control you now select will be stored in the VST configure box. When you have all the controls you need assigned then set them in an instrument rack and assign a few dials to the controls you just configured, then you should be able to assign these to dials on your midi controller, if this is not what you are looking for I'm unsure as to how you do what you are looking for
This is exactly right, though you don't even need an instrument rack. Once you have the parameters "configured", you can midi map these parameters the same as any other.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Turn on the 'record arm' button on the channel which the vsti is contained.
Then you should be able to send midi note and cc values.
If you create a loop, everything you do will be recorded into the loop on each cycle.
To prevent a mess, turn off overdub. Then you could for instance: record note pattern, trigger the clip to have it loop, then adjust parameters as it loops.

All of this is assuming that you have everything set up properly, and know the cc values of your parameters in the vsti.

Pier25

Post by Pier25 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 am

trevox wrote:
noroch wrote:I have an idea, if you are using a VST try this:

This is exactly right, though you don't even need an instrument rack. Once you have the parameters "configured", you can midi map these parameters the same as any other.
Yes I can drag the yellow circle with the mouse in the XY controller and modulate parameters when the pattern is playing, with my mouse...

The problem is I can't map my controller. I right click on the sliders of the parameters (cutoff, etc) click "Edit Midi map" the everything turns purple. I choose the parameter I want to midi-learn, move my modulation wheel... and nothing happens.

I've seen some videos on Youtube on how to do that and it should work, but it doesn't.

I've contacted support 4-5 days ago with no answer... I think that makes it easy for me to make a decision about paying for Live or not. I will invest my money on some other DAW.

Thanks for your help.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 am

You can't record realtime modulation into session view clips in Ableton Live, especially if they're native Live devices. You can record MIDI CC with third party plugins if they have their own MIDI learn but that doesn't work properly either.

Maschine is something you might want to look at. It has its own version of session view and can do what you want easily. Upcoming Bitwig Studio has this feature as well.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:14 am

Go in Preferences in the MIDI tab and make sure you have 'Remote' turned on for your controller. If you're not sure what is your controller, turn them all on haha

Pier25

Post by Pier25 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 am

humnumb wrote:You can't record realtime modulation into session view clips in Ableton Live, especially if they're native Live devices. You can record MIDI CC with third party plugins if they have their own MIDI learn but that doesn't work properly either.

Maschine is something you might want to look at. It has its own version of session view and can do what you want easily. Upcoming Bitwig Studio has this feature as well.
As I said before, I don't want to record any modulation.

I just want to hit play, and send midi CCs to the virtual synth.

Seriously, this is one of the simplest features in any DAW. Try Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Sonar, Reason, Studio One.... try this in ANY other DAW and it just works without doing anything special:

1) write some midi notes
2) hit play and loop
3) move your modulation wheel

Voila, you virtual synth is receiving CC 1.

You don't need any special gear, any midi controller in the world will work.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am

when you twiddle your midi controller do you see activity in the midi indicator? if not then it's not receving and you need to enable remote for the controller in options

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:04 am

Pier25 wrote:For example:

How can I modulate a filter of a virtual synth when the pattern is playing?

I've tried everything and the only solution is to create a new midi track and route the midi data to the desired track... which seems quite messy for such a simple thing which comes by default in most (if not all) midi sequencing DAWs.
Turn off the Overdub (OVR) button in the transport, arm the midi track for recording, hit the clip's play button. Turn on the OVR button when you want record into the clip, turn it off when you want to play along.