Help with External Instrument utility

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
damian1972

Help with External Instrument utility

Post by damian1972 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 am

This may be a very stupid question folks but wondering if someone could assist - am working with an Access Virus hardware synth and Ableton Suite 8 , routing in on each relevant track via the Ext Instrument utility. I think I have the setup configured correctly on MIDI and Audio preferences - I am getting MIDI in and out of the Virus with no problem and recording MIDI onto tracks..

However - my ability to control volume in MIDI tracks from the Virus is limited - the Gain control knob in Ext Instrument box doesnt do much - I suspect this is just normal and main way to control hardware volume is on the Virus itself...but I have tried to route Virus MIDI tracks to a Return track for effects processing with no audible effect - I should be able to apply any audio effects within Ableton to tracks from the hardware synth, right? Am I not getting the audio back in correctly so only getting the MIDI control data through or something? Getting stuck...

Also would be intersted in hearing how people are controlling filter sweeps etc on hardware synths - automating curves within the software or tweaking the knobs - not sure which is most reliable...