How to setup midi + audio with hardware synths?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
infesto

How to setup midi + audio with hardware synths?

Post by infesto » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:43 am

I need some serious help setting up my gear...

I am running Live 7.0.18 using a Roland/Edirol UA-25 interface... everything works perfectly ITB and has done so for years without any problems. But now that I have added a Nord Lead 2x (which I want to use as my master controller) and Novation Super Bass Station (rack) I cant seem to get anything working properly in live. I can get audio from both hardware units direct through the Edirol interface to amp/speakers so I know they are working okay. I just cant get midi or audio from the hardware to record in Live. Ideally I would like to record directly from the Nord into live -midi and audio) and also do the same with the Bass Station (using the Nord as the keyboard triggering notes).. but I would also like to be able to send midi from Live (mouse drawn midi notes) to the Nord and Bass Station for their sounds and back into Live to record the audio.

Right now I have it setup like this:

Edirol midi out to Nord midi in,
Nord midi out to Bass Station midi thru,
Bass Station midi out to Edirol midi in,
In Live I have the Edirol unit chosen for audio/midi in/out,
Nord A/B 1/4" audio outs going to the Edirol 1/L-2/R 1/4" audio inputs

I have tried several variations of this chain but nothing has worked thus far.

I have read all 4 of the manuals, checked forums, searched Google, contacted support-they told me nothing more than to watch the videos - did all of that and still cannot seem to get any of this working. :cry: Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

lyovino

Re: How to setup midi + audio with hardware synths?

Post by lyovino » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Have you tried loading an External Instrument and within it selecting your midi channel and the audio inputs?
Works here..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Edirol MIDI OUT to Nord MIDI IN

Nord MIDI OUT to Edirol MIDI IN

Nord MIDI THRU to BassStation MIDI IN

This routes Nord's MIDI output into Live, then Live routes MIDI output to Nord and BassStation

Set up TWO External Instruments, Nord on one and BassStation on the other with different MIDI channels for each

Set Nord to LOCAL OFF

To record audio from the external instruments, route the incoming audio from each to an audio track.

Good luck!

infesto

Post by infesto » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 pm

@lyovino

Yes. I have tried it with and without the External Instrument as well as choosing the various selections available.. none seem to work properly. I did however manage (from watching a 2min Youtube video some guy made) to get Live to record the midi I played on the Nord, then play it back and do real time editing on the Nord WITHOUT using the External Instrument function - BUT! I couldn't get Live to record the real time editing into the midi track or the audio signal onto an additional audio track. This is driving me bonkers!

I have no problem whatsoever with recording midi, editing it real time and also busing/recording to audio tracks at the same time or later when using ITB VST's... its just this problem with external hardware that isn't working right.

I'm going to unplug everything and start over fresh this morning.

@doghouse

Thanks for your suggestions. The Nord doesn't have a midi thru -only in/out. The Super Bass Station DOES have a midi thru.. but its a rack unit so ideally I would have the Nord controlling it - OR if not possible just use the Nord to record midi notes and then route the Edirol directly to the Super Bass Station in/out back to Edirol and record into Live? Confusing and would require constant changing of cables from unit to unit.

Or do you think it would be possible (I will try it in a few minutes) to route:

Edirol MIDI OUT to SBS MIDI IN

SBS MIDI OUT to Edirol MIDI IN

SBS MIDI THRU to Nord MIDI IN

Would the Nord still be able to act as my main controller over itself and the SBS? (and later assign control over VST's etc. in Live?)

When you say "To record audio from the external instruments, route the incoming audio from each to an audio track." do you mean L/R audio outs via 1/4" audio cables from both the Nord and SBS and then assign each to separate audio tracks in Live? The Edirol unit only has 2 audio inputs 1/L and 2/R. Would I have to run each hardware unit in mono - 1 audio cable from each units mono output? But then I wont get stereo signals and the sound will be lacking... suggestions?

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:13 am

infesto wrote:The Edirol unit only has 2 audio inputs 1/L and 2/R. Would I have to run each hardware unit in mono - 1 audio cable from each units mono output?
Yes. Your other options are to purchase a sound card with more inputs, or purchase a small mixing board.

infesto

Post by infesto » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 am

outsidesys wrote:
infesto wrote:The Edirol unit only has 2 audio inputs 1/L and 2/R. Would I have to run each hardware unit in mono - 1 audio cable from each units mono output?
Yes. Your other options are to purchase a sound card with more inputs, or purchase a small mixing board.

Thanks, that got me going with recording the midi and audio on the same midi track... but the timing is off (latency issue or do I need to set midi clock or something?) and I still cannot monitor audio inside Live -only through the "direct monitor" volume knob on the Edirol, which if I turn down all the way there is no sound. Also, FX wont work on that midi track. :|

For right now I can just switch the 2 audio cables from Nord to SBS when I want to monitor/record the different devices, but I'm guessing I'll need a new interface with at least 4 audio inputs and at least 2 midi ins/2 midi outs to get everything setup and running properly. Any suggestions as far as high quality interfaces?

I still cant for the life of me figure out how to get the audio going... cant monitor hardware synths in Live or record or bounce to audio tracks. Any ideas? With VST's I have no problem bussing midi channels to audio tracks and recording using the audio from function. I have sent Live support these same questions.. but it is taking them 3-4 days to get back to me each time and they haven't given me any step by step instructions. Frustrating. I would upload screen shots but I don't see anywhere that I can attach photos in messages... have to use Photobucket or something later.