How to Block MIDI Note Range? (novation launchpad)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
lozz

How to Block MIDI Note Range? (novation launchpad)

Post by lozz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Has anyone successfully blocked a range of MIDI Notes from a track?

Im attempting to set a Launchpad up with 4 different Drumracks.

I'm using Fletchmusic's Method to get the launchpad to give me Drumrack feedback on the launchpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkvq_6Jg ... ature=plcp

Im repeating this so that I have 4 tracks with a drum rack mapped to the note ranges representing the 4 quadrants of the launchpad.

I know its possible to use 1 Drumrack and one track to do this: however this set up should allow switching and cueing during performance and to keep sanity I'm using a velocity effect to change the colour of the buttons. (See Fletch's video about 2/3 in).

However, When Multi arming tracks all notes played by the launchpad are recorded by all clips, even if audio is only output when a pad has a sample attached. This means I get really messy clips, and the pad buttons flash in quite a random manner, without colour differentiation.

I want to filter the midi signals so that only the relevant note ranges pass through the Drumrack.

Any Ideas?

Cheers in advance.

r_v

Re: How to Block MIDI Note Range? (novation launchpad)

Post by r_v » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 am

I reckon you might be able to do it with the Scale device. It can be used to block certain notes. You might have to chain a few of them together to cover a larger range of notes, but it should still be doable.

Of course, that wouldn't stop the notes being recorded into the clips, so you might have to put the scale plug on a different track, then route the MIDI from that track to one with your drum rack in, so you'd need 4 extra tracks, each with a different destination track and a set of scale devices customised for that track's destination drum rack.

lozz

Post by lozz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for your response.

Tried the scale: it doesn’t block MIDI: it allows MIDI to pass through without being transposed if its outside the scale range...

r_v

Post by r_v » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:01 am

Try this:

Add a scale with these settings:

- disable every note in the scale
- set Lowest to C-2
- set Range to 35
- leave Transpose at 0 and Base at C

Now, everything below C1 is blocked.

Add a new scale device after the first one with these settings:

- disable every note in the scale
- set Lowest to C2 (not C-2)
- set Range to 128
- leave Transpose at 0 and Base at C

Now, everything above B1 is blocked. So, you're only letting through notes between C1 and B1. Vary the Range on the 1st scale to set the lower threshold and vary the Lowest on the 2nd to set the upper threshold for the range of notes let through.