Can't make my MIDI keyboard work with Ableton :(

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
annasbraga

Can't make my MIDI keyboard work with Ableton :(

Post by annasbraga » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey guys, i just bought the Akai MPK25 and i've been very excited to start working with it, but so far i haven't been able to make it work with Ableton at all :(. I use mac and i already had a version of Ableton suite 8 installed on it, i plug the Akai to the computer and it powers on, but when i go on Ableton preferences and to MIDI Sync, but on MIDI ports it doesn't show me anything. It doesn't seem to recognize my keyboard. The thing is i tried to install the very same keyboard on my old laptop which is a windows and it has Ableton live 8 installed on it, and it worked! Do you think it could be the version of Ableton suite that i'm using on my macbook? does the Akai only work with Ableton live? i'm so confused... i will be thankful for life if someone helps me figure this out

cotdagoo

Re: Can't make my MIDI keyboard work with Ableton :(

Post by cotdagoo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 am

You could try selecting a control surface from the drop down menu.. Then something might show up in the midi ports section.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Fire up Garageband and see if it's recognized there.

annasbraga

Post by annasbraga » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:04 pm

When i try to open Garageband and my MIDI is connected this message comes up: "GarageBand has detected a MIDI timeout. Please restart your computer, then relaunch GarageBand. If the problem persists, update the drivers of all connected MIDI devices (including audio drivers with MIDI functionality) to the latest version. For instructions on removing older drivers, consult the manufacturers' documentation." what is going on??? i only have this akai midi keyboard connected, and i know nothing about drivers.. please help.
How to i select a control surface from the drop down menu? I'm sorry guys, i'm new to all this so all help/explanation is much appreciated. thanks :)

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:26 pm

annasbraga wrote:How to i select a control surface from the drop down menu? I'm sorry guys, i'm new to all this so all help/explanation is much appreciated. thanks :)
In all honesty.. do the included lessons, and check out the manual if you're having issues figuring out a drop down menu / selecting a control surface..
It will help lots.