Relinking Media Files

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
fakemoney

Relinking Media Files

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 pm

This has been coming up a lot lately and it's not quite working like I'd thought...

I work at a video post production place. We'll get a bunch of footage and the editors go to work on it. At the same time, I'm doing sound design and music editing with Live (when I can) and Pro Tools (when I have to) :x

The workflow is a bit hectic, usually the client's still trying to negotiate licensing for the track they want, sometimes it changes at the last minute. This scenario happens a lot: they'll give me an MP3 of a track they want to use, I'll go nuts re-editing it in Live to fit our video cut and then they'll come back later with an AIF and say yeah, we got the rights to it, now swap this in there. Of course I'd like to start out editing with a lossless file from the beginning, but often they just don't have it. So what I've been doing is dropping the old MP3 and the new AIF into a new project, consolidating the lossless track so it's totally in sync and the exact same length as the MP3 I've been working from, then go to the File Manager for the edit project and drop the new consolidated AIF on the old MP3. Should work, right? But it doesn't, my timing gets all screwed up and the set turns into a mess.

It's a weird request, but has anyone had much experience with good ways of making this work reliably?