Can't I copy clips into MIDI tracks?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
daniel_robert_lahey

Can't I copy clips into MIDI tracks?

Post by daniel_robert_lahey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:49 am

I'm trying to copy clips into MIDI tracks in Arrangement view by right-clicking on the clips and pasting them into the track lanes. It looks like it works just fine until I try to play them, then the whole Arrangement view grays out and nothing happens. Do I have to copy the MIDI events (notes) themselves rather than the clips? It's just too weird that Live makes it look like I can copy clips and shows me exactly what it would look like if the MIDI events were copied out of the clip and into the track, but it's not happening. I can find nothing in the manual on this, and yet I'd swear I did this before. Any help?

Perhaps I should make this a little clearer: I've created clips in 4 MIDI tracks by recording into them. I'm doing this to use clips as a sort of scratch helper. So once I've got the clips created, I'm trying to copy them to the Arrangement view after copying them in the Session view. I'm trying to copy them to the track in which they were recorded.

daniel_robert_lahey

Re: Can't I copy clips into MIDI tracks?

Post by daniel_robert_lahey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 am

OK, I resigned myself to just recording the clips into the MIDI tracks by triggering them at the points where I had pasted them and started on that when I found that the remaining 3 MIDI tracks, on which I had not deleted the clips before recording into the first track were now suddenly playing the clips just fine. There must have been something in the first track that sent Live for a loop (no pun intended). The clip in the first track had 2 measures of blank space at the beginning whereas the other 3 did not. I'm guessing it has something to do with that. I always try to leave at least one measure at the beginning to allow everything to settle into place, as recommended in the documentation (or was it the Virus' documentation?) but maybe I shouldn't do that with clips. Weird.

Bagatell

Re: Can't I copy clips into MIDI tracks?

Post by Bagatell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:07 am

Did you hit the "back to arrangement" button?

rtfm page 16