NO AUTOMATE TRANSPOSE DIAL?!!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
dpel

NO AUTOMATE TRANSPOSE DIAL?!!!

Post by dpel » Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:14 pm

This was something we (Ableton and I) discussed months ago. I was led to believe that the new version would have it. How difficult would it be to add this?
I'm positive everyone will have instant gratification with this function.
dp
:idea: :!:

neuronaut

I was bummed too

Post by neuronaut » Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:16 pm

I know, I was REALLY hoping for this... How else is this loop music EVER going to break out of being in the same key all the time?! I've tried manually transposing and it's so painfully slow and HAS to be set up ahead of time. I remember discussing this here too and Ableton seemed to be listening...
Last edited by neuronaut on Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is sound.

dpel

hopeful...

Post by dpel » Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:24 pm

neuronaut,
i'm glad you feel the same way and have had a similar dialog with ableton.
dp

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:01 pm

Put the same clip in a second or third channel and adjust its transpose to change to a key of your liking.

Then switch to that channel via mouse (v1 + v2) or MIDI action (v2).

???

-Alex

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:23 pm

Alex Reynolds wrote:Put the same clip in a second or third channel and adjust its transpose to change to a key of your liking.

Then switch to that channel via mouse (v1 + v2) or MIDI action (v2).
This requires too much computer time for me.

Especially since my goal is to use it as an improv tool in the 4 piece band I play in. Changing the master key (pitch) would allow us to break out of the rut of a single key during a single improv jam session (unless I do what is suggested above on the fly.)

:idea: (I know I've written about this before but...) A master key could be associated with the original key of each sample. This would require 1 additional field in the clip editor (root key). Master key could be added to the toolbar. THERE IS NO NEED TO ADD THE FUNCTIONALITY OF AUTO-KEY FINDING (which is more work), because the default value (C most likely) would force all samples to behave as the do now.

Of course, the addition of a MIDI triggered mastered key - which would change the key of the whole song by hitting the right note on the keyboard - would turn Live into the best sample-based jam machine on the planet! ( :lol: I getting goose bumps here...)

peace.
The world is sound.

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:55 pm

The exposee of neuronaut, has maybe unveiled one field where AcidPro still has an edge - there you can (midi?) select/change the overall key ...

Personnally I use the transpose button as a REAL TIME tool for tweaking/morphing/resampling etc within my sessions, while keeping a certain cohesiveness ... so I desperately need it midi controllable ... 8)
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:16 pm

A friend of mine who's doing his own thing suggested hiding the computer from the crowd as much as possible... I have my moments of supreme geekdom too and now a battle is forming in my mind... between the technology and the magic...
The world is sound.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:38 pm

I am sorry to hear there is no automation for pitch. I was hoping the pitch increments could be mapped chromatically so you could play the clip with a midi keyboard. Maybe someday Ableton?.

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:32 pm

Geraldo wrote:I am sorry to hear there is no automation for pitch. I was hoping the pitch increments could be mapped chromatically so you could play the clip with a midi keyboard. Maybe someday Ableton?.
great idea G,
alex has responded to me regarding this. we'll keep bugging him and have pitch automation for
2.01! :D
dp
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com