Disk overload

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Chris J

Post by Chris J » Tue May 24, 2005 5:26 pm

ntp :
not restarting the computer, just quitting live and launching it again. Strangely, it works for me.
For now I can only see it linked to the undo, so when you restart the undo list is clear, and it works, but if i do something, then it happens again.

Well.. I don't know, it's just very annoying
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

dpel

Post by dpel » Wed May 25, 2005 5:25 am

Chris J wrote:
ntp wrote:I have 6-7 sessions that I've created in Live. Only one of them is giving me this problem. It happens to be one that has 4 - 5 minute stereo tracks in it. I have copies of those clips and some of the copies are looping just a small section of the 5 minute total.

I'm wondering if this is what is putting strain on the hard drive?
Well that's what I thought at first but when I quit and restart it's fine (it's just I have to do it every 2 minutes, ie once I edit or record something).

ndp, is it OK once you quit and restart ?

dpel : So sometimes restarting don't help then ?
I'm going to put a self contained song on ftp for ableton because this is unacceptable.
They probably don't get sent big songs, so if there's a bug in large songs (which there is obviously) they must have never looked into it.
right. let me know what they say. i never got a definitive answer from them.
i hope you have better luck than i did.
btw, i 've tried raid 0 and then 2 separate volumes with my SATA drives,
no difference.
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

ntp

Post by ntp » Wed May 25, 2005 4:53 pm

so, I played around last night and did the following the session:

1 - reduced a few of my clip lengths. some were too long out of sheer laziness, so i trimmed them down and replaced them in the session

2 - i increased my buffer all the way up to 4096! i hate to go that high, but it helped

3 - i set all of my short clips to RAM mode - I have a gig od RAM now, so that helps

4 - I reduced some reverb plug ins by putting them on a send channel.

All of this allowed me to get through the session without crapping out. I'm still nervous, and frankly annoyed that I have to take shortcuts to get it to work - but at least it runs.

tim.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Thu May 26, 2005 1:34 am

recently I've found this problem too as i start doing some recording in 24 bit. (I was only doing this to be compatible with part of the session recorded at an external studio)

I've got an external Lacie firewire drive, which should be plenty fast to handle it all.

it's all of about 12-14 tracks running... but on recording I was getting complete dropouts of the audio. Alas, I do have a slow 667 G4 powerbook, but it wasn't using more than half cpu according to Live CPU meter.

Can anyone comment on this?
Can anybody donate a faster computer to me?

I'm running a 828 MkII.

could there be a bug in Live at 24bit?? (just a thought)

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu May 26, 2005 2:40 pm

SongCarver wrote:it wasn't using more than half cpu according to Live CPU meter.
the Live CPU meter is not accurate at all, in my opinion. I always run windows task manager (with the performance tab showing) simultaneously when running Live and it consistently reports at least twice the cpu usage that Live reports. Sometimes it spikes up to 99%. I don't usually have alot of tracks in my projects but I do end up having alot of automation envelopes and some vst's.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

dpel

Post by dpel » Thu May 26, 2005 7:47 pm

Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Sun May 29, 2005 4:06 pm

Obviously many different things can cause disk overload.

I started this thread because in my case Live 4.1.2 is not able to read correctly once some editing is being done BUT QUITTING AND RESTARTING LIVE cures the problem.
If you have trouble with your hard disk all the time, while recording and stuff and restarting live doesn't help then your computer is not handling the datas.
I'm specifically talking about a problem in LIVE than can play a song containing 35 tracks of audio and midi with plugins FROM START TO FINISH WITHOUT ANY DROPOUTS OR CPU PEAKS but if I copy/paste and undo, (so in theory getting back to the same state), Disk overload lights up and audio cuts out
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8