Live won't quit properly, lost undo, etc.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rozling

Live won't quit properly, lost undo, etc.

Post by rozling » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:05 am

Hello,

I'm having big problems with my (recently purchased) copy of Live 4.1.4. I've searched the forum for similar problems but so far no suggestions have worked.

Basically when I quit Live after saving a set it asks me to save again. When I say no I get the message:

"A serious program error has occurred. You should try to save your work under a new name using the Save As command from the File menu and restart the application."

The error box keeps popping up and won't let me save, and (half the time) Task Manager won't kill Live, so I have to reboot. When I restart Live it asks me if I want to recover the set. It usually does recover it, but it's stressing me out doing this every time.

There's something wierd going on with templates too -- after getting rid of all traces of Live from my computer it still loads with my customised default template!

The other annoying thing is it's lost undo functionality (has switched to 'memory based undo' and Ctrl+Z doesn't work),

As per similar problems posted on the forum, I have tried copying my VSTplugins folder to another folder and back again, but this isn't helping. My drivers are up to date, too. The problem is persisting after several complete uninstall/reinstalls (down to a registry clean). I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out on this asap – I wanted to spend my bank holiday Monday rocking out!!!

Thanks,

The Rozling

rozling

Post by rozling » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:24 pm

Ok, I seem to have sorted this.

It seems when I uninstalled all versions of Live that although everything in Program files was deleted, there were folders for all versions of the program in c:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Ableton.

I deleted (on the advice of the abes) the preferences.cfg file in the Live 4.1.4 folder, with no luck.

I got rid of the folders to do with previous versions of Live, with no luck.

Then I deleted the undo.cfg file in the Live 4.1.4 folder, and the contents of the 'crash' folder, also located in the Live 4.1.4 folder. This seems to have sorted it. Looks like there was a poxed recovery file for a set which just kept trying to recover itself on startup.

Yay, success :D