Noob MIDI Question about recording>>>

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Jbo99

Noob MIDI Question about recording>>>

Post by Jbo99 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Ok, this will probably seem like a dumb question since im new to MIDI and recording. When I record a midi track from my yamaha keyboard, how do I get the exact same sound as I am hearing from the keyboard such as a piano, synthesizer chord etc. instead of the midi presets such as (allison, belish, vocalic etc) using Live 4.1.2??

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:22 pm

you need a midi track without a midi instrument on it. Set the midi out of the track to go back into the yamaha. Also, you may need to switch "local" off, if you have such a thing on your keyboard.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Jbo99

Post by Jbo99 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:28 am

im not exactly sure what you mean?

i just want to import the sound from the keyboard, but it seems as if there is no way to do that.. unless i record from a mic, but then the quality is poor..

*sigh why does MIDI have to be so hard?

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:58 am

you gotta think of midi as being like the piano roll for an old pianola player piano....

it doesn't actually have any sound information... it just tells something else how to play it.

you won't need to mic the keyboard unless it doesn't have an audio output....

you will need to connect the audio output from you keyboard into your soundcard, or 'line in' of you computer.

hope that helps a bit

-m
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

James the Ant

Post by James the Ant » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:09 am

1. Hook up your keyboard to the computer (or your soundcard)
2. Go to preferences
3. Select your MIDI device and make sure the ON button is highlighted
4. In the session view click on MIDI From, select the Yamaha
5. Then click on MIDI To, select the Yamaha
6. Done.

kinkajou

Post by kinkajou » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:29 am

JBO99:

keep in mind that MIDI is just sending DATA, like which note was played, programchanges, bankchanges, pitch- and modulationwheel... etc.
MIDI does NOT transmit SOUNDs!

so you have to link your YAMAHAS-line-out (or phone-out) with your soundcards line-in and then you can "sample" your sounds form the YAMAHA... i hope i understand your problem and solved it a little... 8) ;)

Jbo99

Post by Jbo99 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:29 pm

Thank you guys!!! I finally realized how simple it was! i just needed to take the chord i use for my guitar and plug it into the keyboard output and into the audio interface. Wow I feel like such a moron.

thanks

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:40 pm

Umm.

If you are just patching your audio cable through then there is not going to be any midi data communication at all. Unless you have a midi guitar. If that's the case I'll just hush up then.

You need to hook MIDI cables to your computer from the keyboard and vice-versa.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram