PDC not working as I hoped , or am I missing something

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
henry ford

PDC not working as I hoped , or am I missing something

Post by henry ford » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:41 pm

I have not been satisfied with PDC....it dont seem to work for me.
I have a midi track sending to a micro modular (external synth) , and i have the audio outs from the modular being sent to an audio track - auditioning set to off. Now , i want to record the audio that the modular will produce when that midi clip gets sent to it. However , i have tried offsetting both midi and audio track but it seems to be completely ineffectual. When I launch the midiclip/and/recording clip ...i always get the same length of space at the start of the audio clip. So with offset set to zero , auditioning off...is the same as offsetting both tracks. The only time i can get any change is making the space BIGGER! , surely if offsetting one way makes the space larger , offsetting the opposite way should (as advertised) make it smaller (even not at all). I am going to search the threads on this one.....its kind of dissapointing , I hope im missing something obvious. As far as I'm concerned under those circumstances live should get things bang-on. Getting things in sync while auditioning too , would be frikkin fantastic, but one thing at a time I guess.#

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:18 pm

Hey Henry, PDC is Plugin delay compensation. It will only compensate for plugins, not external gear.

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:09 am

it would be really cool to have it compensated tho... in large projects with lots of plugins its impossible to play even a plugin synth with a midi keyboard... am posting this in feature requests :)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 am

errm, but you can already compensate for external gears latency. Its in the manual...

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:59 am

external gear yes, software synths no... try opening a new project and have only a soft synth on a midi track... now click the midi thru button & play with your midi keyboard... niiiiiiiice n responsive...

now stick a bunch of plugins all over the place & turn PDC on... and try playing the synth again... it's mega delayed...

the audio outputs of all tracks is compensated for the delay of plugins, but midi data isn't, so there's a massive discrepancy which totally kills the responsiveness of softsynths when PDC is on... THAT is what could & should be fixed...

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:27 am

yes.

i will check the manual for assistance....