UnEvEn loop lengths when recording on the fly(Qntz 1 bar)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mariner

UnEvEn loop lengths when recording on the fly(Qntz 1 bar)

Post by mariner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:31 pm

I've been using Live as a real time looper/phrase sampler since version one, and it's worked like a charm until now. My quantization is set to 1 bar, as it has been in ver. 1,2,3,4, and now 5. but, about 1 out of every 10 loops comes out short, like 1.3.3 in stead of 2.

This must be a glitch right? If Quant. is set to 1 bar then all my loops/clips should be either a bar or some multiple of bars, never 1.3.3 or 7+ or... whatever, you get the picture.

anyone else experiencing this issue? I know my drummer is. We're both running 5.0.2 he's on a pc and I'm on a 800mhz tiBook.

any help would be greatly appreciated, as this has been interfering w/ our live performances.

-be well

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:07 pm

yep , I'm experiencing the exact same thing.... i posted here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28227
i got no replies....I think I'll email the abeltons about it , as you should too

it kills the flow man , it kills the flow.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:49 pm

i emailed support@ableton.com ,

the advice I was given was to try muting the recording track , and setting monitor to auto....and let them know how that works for me....

i dont know about you , but i dont enjoy 'workarounds' to compensate for what should be working....

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:35 pm

I just finished doing some tests , heres what I did.

quantize is set to one bar

tempo is 109

track one is set to receive audio from midi channel nine

i put an instrument (albino) in track nine , and record a simple 1 bar midi clip.

i set track one to AUTO monitoring , and i mute the channel. (as per my instructions from ableton support..)

now i click on an empty clip in track one , and it records. if you press play on the same clip before its finished recording , it stops recording as it should - a complete bar , and then plays.

before , this was would be hit & miss , and would sometimes stop early as i told you. however this time it wasnt finishing early , but i guarantee you it does at seemingly random occasions. So....I continued to experiment , ...now i tried clicking on an empty clip , and before it finished I clicked on the next empty clip on the same track , and did that about 10 times in a row , so that i should have ten 1 bar loops. But no , now its missing the bar worse then I experienced before....when it stopped earlier before it used to register as a 3+ clip , all of these clips were 3 in length instead of 4.....

i tried this with monitoring set to off , and it did the same thing....this bug happens all of the time , where as the original one I experienced only happened some of the time....probably because i wasnt looking for a bug...

I hope this gets fixed in the next update

mariner

Post by mariner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:33 pm

just for chucks, I experimented w/ some of the other quantization settings(none, 1/4, etc.) My hope was that by switching between them, the program would wake up and start behaving. Well... it didn't.

one thing occured to me though. W/ qnt. set to none, I was getting a lot of those "not quite whole" loops, as expected w/ that setting. So, I'm wondering if the glitch is simply that Qantize randomly defaults to none, leaving us w/ uneven, unquantized clips.

As I see it, this glitch is worthy of an update all its' own.

-peace

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:46 pm

i dont think its randomly setting itself to NO QUANTIZATION , because when I tested it , i clicked on the next clip before it would have reached the 3rd note , so the clips should have been less than 3 if thats the case.....right?

mariner

Post by mariner » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:21 am

well, I'm no programmer, but the seemimgly inconsistant loop lengths(3+, 7+, etc.) that I'm getting continue to point to no quant. If your getting 3 every time, even when you click before the 3rd beat, perhaps yours if setting itself to 1/4. Either way, this just shouldn't be happening, and needs to be fixed immediately.

-respect

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:24 pm

i just tested this out...

tried a bunch of vstis, a bunch of times

and it seems to be working normally on my computer...
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:22 am

seems to be working on the abes machines as well from what i can gather.

your signature says you are using live 5.1 ? ....are you using the latest update?

mariner

Post by mariner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:26 pm

It happened several times this morning, then... the ultimate groove killer, "Live has unexpectedly quit".

This just cannot happen during a live performance, no excuses!

I trashed my prefs and everything was cool for the rest of the session('bout an hour), loop lengths and all.

But that's the problem w/ these glitches, they're intermittent at best.

-breathe

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:33 pm

have you been emailing support@ableton.com ?

i have...but i havent heard from them today , or since mid afternoon yesterday. ...i re-installed the latest update , and tried again...and it still happens , i let them know and im waiting for instructions....

in the mean time i downloaded camtasia and im gonna create a video-capture of the bug in action and send it to them

-good luck

mariner

Post by mariner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:37 pm

emailed them this morning... waiting for reply.
15" 2.8Ghz i7 MBP OS 10.6.8, MOTU Traveler, Live 8.2.5, M4L, NI Komplete 5, Behringer FCB1010, Edirol PCR 500, Kenton Killamix, Evolution UC-33.

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:45 am

I am experiencing the exact same problem...It is a NIGHTMARE when playing in a LIVE situation!

C'mon Abletons...this is a huge issue!
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

mariner

Post by mariner » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:11 pm

This is driving me freakin' nuts. Last night, @ our regular gig, about 1/2 the loops I laid down came out F'd up. What's worse, Live completely crashed during soundcheck. So, as I've learned from previous 'work-around' tutorials, I trashed my prefs and started over. Live made it through both sets w/ out crashing, but 50% of the loops were still UNquantized. It's challenging enough performing this kinda music(100% improvised electronica), but having to correct, and sometimes RErecord, loops that should be quantized is just plain getting in the way of my game.

As far as I can tell, the clips begin recording at the appropriate point, it's the stop record function that seems to be eluding quantization.

for the record: I've ruled out the possibility of faulty midi controllers, because the problem occurs even when using the computer keyboard or mouse.

-respect
15" 2.8Ghz i7 MBP OS 10.6.8, MOTU Traveler, Live 8.2.5, M4L, NI Komplete 5, Behringer FCB1010, Edirol PCR 500, Kenton Killamix, Evolution UC-33.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:27 pm

i know dude. it sucks. i've just emailed them again and asked them if they are looking into it...