UnEvEn loop lengths when recording on the fly(Qntz 1 bar)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kleine

Post by kleine » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi all,

So far i haven´t found a way to reproduce it.
Also, i already played several Live gigs with 5.02 without any problems.
If someone finds a bulletproof way to reproduce this, please let me know.

Best,
Christian Kleine
support@ableton.com

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:22 am

Same problems here

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:46 am

does a problem have to actually be reproduced to fix? I mean it makes sense.. but couldn't you speculate at possibilities of what might cause a problem like this and then go hunting around till you find something strange?

I don't know.. I could be crazy... I don't know about things like this.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:49 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I don't know.. I could be crazy... I don't know about things like this.
excuse me, but why do you speak then?
i guess the abes know what their job is.

like my grand father used to say: "no one looks smarter than a dumb who shuts up"

back to topic: i remember that in one of the early Live5 betas, this problem occured, and seemed to have been fixed.
i'll try to look for threads about this in the beta testing forum.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:54 am

here is the beta thread, for what it's worth:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... oop+lenght

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:49 pm

if you read my post again you'll see that i was also posing a question.

don't tell me to shut up pedro. no one looks smarter than when they show some fu**ing respect.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:does a problem have to actually be reproduced to fix? I mean it makes sense.. but couldn't you speculate at possibilities of what might cause a problem like this and then go hunting around till you find something strange?

I don't know.. I could be crazy... I don't know about things like this.
i second that. having programmed the software , they should be able to speculate whats causing it , as opposed to waiting for it to happen on their own machines. The problem with that attitude is they are programming on their machines , and testing on their machines......but selling to you and me , and obviously live 5 hasnt been programmed on our setups. it would seem logical to me , that they should be thinking in lines of our machines , since we paid them , and not their own

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Mariner (and Henry of course), I have been testing like a madman tonight, and so far the only way I could find to reproduce your problem of *starting recordings okay, but ending unquantized* is by altering the default->Launch->Quantization setting in preferences... can you tell me what this is set to at your end?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:if you read my post again you'll see that i was also posing a question.

don't tell me to shut up pedro. no one looks smarter than when they show some fu**ing respect.
ok, apologies if i sounded harsh. i didn't know how to mean "shut up" without being rude... like "not speak", or "stay quiet"... well, it could have worked... sorry again.

back on topic: i'm pretty sure the developpers DO speculate about your prob, but i think you'll agree that they can't spend their time trying to reproduce bugs without knowing exactly what to do. i mean, if they start to work like that, we may have Live6 by 2017.

if you think this bug is related to your environment, i think you should try to describe it as precisely as you can, with driver versions, plugins, settings inside Live and its preferences... everything you can think about that's involved when you experience this bug.

maybe you think it's not your job to do that, but then there are few chances you'll get this bug fixed, even if the abes "speculate" during 10 years...

mariner

Post by mariner » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 pm

Machinate wrote:Mariner (and Henry of course), I have been testing like a madman tonight, and so far the only way I could find to reproduce your problem of *starting recordings okay, but ending unquantized* is by altering the default->Launch->Quantization setting in preferences... can you tell me what this is set to at your end?
Global Qnt - 1Bar, Launch mode - Trigger, Clip-level Qnt - Global

Also, this problem seems to be more of an issue when synced to an external device. In fact, I've as yet to reproduce this problem in "standalone" mode.

On a somewhat related note, i've been getting an occasional discrepancy between the Track Status Field(pie-chart) and the Clip View's loop length.

for example, the pie-chart will say 7 beats, but in the clip view, the length will be a full 2 measures.

I've reproduced this running Live "standalone" or "EXT"
15" 2.8Ghz i7 MBP OS 10.6.8, MOTU Traveler, Live 8.2.5, M4L, NI Komplete 5, Behringer FCB1010, Edirol PCR 500, Kenton Killamix, Evolution UC-33.

mariner

Back to 4

Post by mariner » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:13 pm

last night during sound check at our weekly gig, the very first loop I recorded came out 1.3.3 instead of 2.

So, after a few brief exclamations, I powered down and prepared my rig for Live 4(which is somewhat of a pain in the a** on account of all the extra cables and such needed to run more than two controllers)

both sets went smoothly, not a single unquantized loop. While I love the new features in Ver. 5, it's simply not stable enough for live looping.

...guess it's time to re-exlpore ver. 4!
15" 2.8Ghz i7 MBP OS 10.6.8, MOTU Traveler, Live 8.2.5, M4L, NI Komplete 5, Behringer FCB1010, Edirol PCR 500, Kenton Killamix, Evolution UC-33.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 pm

guh.
well......it will be fixed eventually....

mariner

Post by mariner » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:51 pm

just keepin' this on the front page

-respect

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:16 am

For what ever its worth, today I resampled 3 midi tracks and the newly created audio loop (using Resamapling) was the dreaded 1:3:3 length. So it seems to do it when resampling also.

I also see a new posting in the general forum about the same bug....I really hope the boys in Germany are burning the midnight oil on this one.

TK
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:05 am

vdrum wrote:I really hope the boys in Germany are burning the midnight oil on this one.

TK
lol.

they cant do anything unless they can make it happen on their machines , which they cant. im guessing they just run live in some sort of debug mode (a screen that shows all of the code in effect/use as you use a program....is debug mode the correct term?) and isolate the code that appears as the bug is in action. any monkey can do that , providing they are priviledged and have whatever is needed to run the program like this.

i'm dubious about their programming methods , and i wonder if its not some visual-basic-esque modular programming thing that they are using to compile live. i would hope that they would hire a die-hard programmer to take care of this stuff as opposed to tech-savvy musicians , who dont really cut the mustard when it comes to this kind of thing....

am i wrong?