Ableton won't start due to time change in the UK

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:54 am

awwwww man I didn't have this problem at all but I bet there were loads of people peforming at the exact moment the bug hit. thats gotta be a shit your pants moment if I ever heard one.

what next... christmas makes live give you problems too? can't wait for new years....... if something happens on new years I'm asking for my money back.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

protocol

Post by protocol » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:57 am

protocol wrote:Lol, I don't believe this.
Sorry, didn't want to make jokes about you guys having trouble. :-(
I just couldn't believe it...

Soulman

Post by Soulman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:05 am

Last night I had no trouble opening Abelton and running an hour set whilst getting ready to go out. Seem to shut down OK.

This morning I couldn't use Windows! It would startup OK and complete displaying all screen icons, etc. But, when double clicking on an icon to open it I would get the info box showing where the program is located. Couldn't start from that info box either. When using the start menu the programs would display for about 1 second then the whole menu would disappear. Couldn't do anything!! :evil:

Reset the computer and hit F4 (or is it F8 :? ) and rolled back to the last good setup to start the computer. It worked fine after that. This is my desktop computer, gonna try the laptop now. :?

Oh, forgot to mention, this was running Live 4.1.4 on the desktop.

Just tried the laptop with both 4.1.4 and 5.0.2 and no problems! Weird!!!
Last edited by Soulman on Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Les
http://www.myspace.com/lesscurr

Gigged at Yates, The Orange Corner & Plastik, Ibiza - June & Sept '06.

Gigged at The Orange Corner, Ibiza, 2007
June 21st, ambient chillout House & Latin
June 23rd, Electro & Tech House

4am

Post by 4am » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:41 am

hi,
i had exactly the same problem last night at a gig.
i tried to start live and had the same problem with
the vst folder.
as i was due to play 20 minutes later i changed the name of my
vst folder and didn't use vst plugins, i used only the built in ones
and could finish my set... but with a lot of stress :?

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:48 am

All those comments make me think that maybe this is related to one or several particular VST plugins ? Because it seems it didn't happen to all Live users, and my comp changed time too... No problem at all. Then the last post makes it clear the problem was somewhere in the vst folder. Interesting.
if something happens on new years I'm asking for my money back.
....and go back to a non legit copy ? :D
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:58 am

Hi,

Doesn't appear to be a problem with my PC (laptop).

Only using NI plug ins with a couple of db freebies.

Haven't actually starteda a song running as I'm in work, but
no problem opening the program and a file.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

scorb

So any comments Ableton?

Post by scorb » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:56 am

It seems a shame so many people had exactly the same bug!

I cured mine by dumping prefs not the vst folder so it isn't neccessarily anything to do with vst's, definately an oversight from ableton, no doubt to do with system ID or the copy protection. :(

Disturbing that so many users had stress at gigs on Saturday night.

Come on Ableton, what do you have to say for yourselves?!

jbible

Post by jbible » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:05 pm

Happened to me as well. Just trashed the prefs right away and it worked fine. It seemd to crash right after scanning waves plugs. I noticed someone else mentioned waves plugs.

dom

Post by dom » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:11 pm

hi all!

as you can imagine, we're currently looking into this strange issue at the moment.
it seems only to happen on windows machines, the workaround that seems to work everywhere is to move the plugin directory and delete the preferences.cfg

Right now we don't know exactly what the cause is, but we can reproduce it on one of our machines, so we will find it and i guess we can post more information later this day.

just wanted to let you all know...

so long,
dom
ableton

Sin:Aesthetic

Post by Sin:Aesthetic » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:44 pm

ok im going to probably come across quite retarded, and its probably just because i havent had much sleep, but where do you find the preferences.cfg file, i cant see it anywhere to trash it

amo

Post by amo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:50 pm

Sin:Aesthetic wrote:ok im going to probably come across quite retarded, and its probably just because i havent had much sleep, but where do you find the preferences.cfg file, i cant see it anywhere to trash it
PC: documents and setting/*your name*/application data/Ableton/Live5***/preferences
You have to set the option for being able to see system folders in folders prefs.
On mac I'm not sure....
Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

primo

Post by primo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:08 pm

Angstrom wrote:Yes , I also cannot start Live today.

this is a BIG HORRIBLE BUG

###

edit

another case of TRASH THE PREFS

that fixed it.
ditto.
thanks for the advice forum peeps. I shit my pants ths morning as I have a project that needs to be finished for a gig @Pacha on Saturday :)

mdb

Post by mdb » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:00 pm

lol .. What a joke! I hadnt even worked in ableton in the last week because i cant freakin render a track without pops/clicks or a half-rendered file. Then i read this thread and decided to fire up ableton and sure enough.. I get a serious error has occured. Heh.. Loading the Waves 5.2 shell i believe but it could have been the something at the end of the 5.0 shell.

Erased my preferences.cfg and rescanned and everything was fine..

Is this program becoming more buggy as time goes on/the more i use it or is it me?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:21 pm

mdb wrote:Is this program becoming more buggy as time goes on/the more i use it or is it me?
well, obviously, the more features it has, the buggier it gets...
anyway, this one was really strange.

kind of y2k bug almost 6 years late...

eldar

Post by eldar » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:49 pm

same here... :evil: