DJ monitoring

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
craw

DJ monitoring

Post by craw » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:48 am

Hello peeps,

Searched the forum but couldn't find a fast answer ... mabye someone can give me some direct advise.

Amongst other things I use ableton for DJing using the following system:

AMD 64 3400+
2GB RAM
M-Audio audiophile internal
Beringer BRC200
Evolution e-keys
ableton live 5

When I am DJing and I try to monitor I can always hear the master channel through the headphones. It does not matter how I set up the audio preferences, I always hear the master channel (I have tried all the available options in the audio preferences (1 mono & 2 mono; 1&2 stereo, etc., etc.). I have the master set to 1&2 and the monitor set to 3&4, and as far as I understand things when I select a track to monitor I should only hear that track through the headphones ... not the master. Is this assumption correct? Does anybody know?

Is there a way to prevent the master output from reaching audio out 3&4 and appearing in my headphones?

Is this a bug anyone is aware of? Or is live just like this?

Not a huge problem as I can work anyway but it would be nice if I could hear my intended track in isolation.

Actually ableton, a little chooser on each track that could specify the headphone behaviour would be really nice ... i.e., isolated, mixed with the master over both left and right sides, master on the left ear, selected track on the right.

That's all ... thanks in advace for any help.

Regards :lol:
craw

leandro

Post by leandro » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:52 am

u should set the cue out to 3-4 and master out to 1/2 (on live)
u should also select cue instead of solo in live (maybe u r forgetting to do this)

on your sound card settings.. u should set the phones output from 3/4 and not from 1/2

hope this helps
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

craw

Post by craw » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:11 am

thanks leandro,

But I already have it set up like this.

-master is 1&2 and this goes to my amp from my soundcard.
-monitor is 3&4 and I have my headphones plugged into this directly.
-monitor is activated instead of cue.

Even set up like this I still hear the master through my headphones. Somehow the master is getting in to 3&4???

I can't figure it out! I'll try again with my sound card settings, but I am sure that I have already tried all the available options.

thanks again
craw

leandro

Post by leandro » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:06 pm

hey craw,
u say that your set up in live is: master 1/2 - cue 3/4
so.. when u open your m-audio settings... do u see (not listen) on the audio out that the sound is going out from 1/2 ? and from 3/4 (when u have some cue button pressed) also ?
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

blastique

Post by blastique » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:02 pm

Yahoo, my first post, finally!

I'm not familiar with the M-Audio audiophile drivers, but I just thought I should mention that on my Motu's Cuemix Console program, there is an option where you choose what mix gets routed to the headphones.

If, for example, "Phones" is set up to "Follow Active Mix", even though I have Live setup in such a way that the Master is routed to 1/2 and my headphones cue goes through 13/14, I would still hear the master output through the headphones as it is configured as such on the driver level (or in motu's case, the driver controlling the hardware's internal cuemix software)

For me, this would be rectified by selecting Phones under the Phones menu.

Hope this helps.
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

Nod

Re: DJ monitoring

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:09 am

Craw - when you say that:

-master is 1&2 and this goes to my amp from my soundcard.
-monitor is 3&4 and I have my headphones plugged into this directly.

If your using a PCI Audiophile 24/96, which IIRC only has a pair of analog outs on RCAs and a SPDIF out (and the monitor mix for both via the control panel), how exactly are you connecting those headphones and how do you have the monitoring set up?

craw

Post by craw » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:36 pm

hello people, been away for a few days .. sorry bout my slow response!

Nod: I am using a audiophile 192, which is equiped with 2 stereo outs. one pair goes to my amp (my main out) and the other pair goes directly to my headphones using a splitter (my monitor). I don't use the digital connections at all for the moment

leoandro: thanks for the response, I am way from my computer at the moment, later I will check my soundcard mixer while live is running and see whats what with my outs.

Blastique: again, I am away from my machine. Later I'll look at the audiophile driver settings and see if there is a special 'headphones' section/menu ... although as far as I am aware there is not.

Thank you all.

Craw.
craw

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:36 pm

craw wrote:hello people, been away for a few days .. sorry bout my slow response!

Nod: I am using a audiophile 192, which is equiped with 2 stereo outs. one pair goes to my amp (my main out) and the other pair goes directly to my headphones using a splitter (my monitor). I don't use the digital connections at all for the moment
I haven't used a 192 mate but if the control panel is still the same how do you have the monitoring set up under the 'Patchbay/Router' tab for each of your outs? From memory if you have Monitor Mixer selected at all then that may be the cause of the problem. Obviously it's kinda difficult to describe but with the set up you've got it sounds like all the signals are passing thru the monitor mix 'in the card' before hitting outputs 3/4. I've a feeling this might be where the problem lies but then again I could just be talking utter shite :lol: