N.I. + Live 5 = too many crashes?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
glitchrock-buddha

N.I. + Live 5 = too many crashes?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:52 am

Although I own Live, I still tend to use Logic most, as it's more familiar, but eventually I intend on switching over fully.

I feel like just about every time I use my N.I. plug-ins, Live crashes at some point. Things seem more stable in logic.

Anyone else finding this. Is it live's fault or N.I.'s?

N.I. Komplete is my main plug-in source, so if it doesn't get along nice with Live, that could be tragedy.

cheers,

Rob
Professional Shark Jumper.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 pm

for getting answers...

-read this http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25171

-post your system specs

-post reproducable steps to make Live crash and write down all the version numbers

-Make sure you have the latest version of all NI plugins

-Use Live 5.0.3

If you find a foolproof way to make Live crash, then it will probably get fixed quick.
If you're just vague about the issue and hardly post any info, then you might as well be talking to a wall.

cheers

-B

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 am

hehe, nothin' like the Ableton forum to smack you upside the head when your post is vague. Ya, I guess that was somewhat lazy.

But I guess the reason is that I can't remember the exact instances, because I don't open live all that often, as I said, I'm still using logic. It's usually to play around and get familiar, and it usually ends with a crash while using something from N.I. (as I said, these are the plugs I use most). It seems to happen when closing/opening or editing, or using browsers, such as reaktor or kontakt, the latter being fairly unstable I find when loading/browsing. absynth has also caused crashes. I reproduced a crash in one song, where every time I deleted the absynth plug-in from the channel, the song crashed. but then when i tried to reproduce that in a new song, it didn't happen. I don't know what the difference was.

If I have a session open long enough, I'll usually end up with a crash when doing something with an N.I. plug, but I haven't noticed a crash occurring while using any other third-party plug-ins, which is why I was curious to hear of other peoples experiences with N.I. products and Live, or any things I should try to avoid.

If anyone has any warnings of what situations tend to cause crashes with N.I. plug-ins, I'd like to hear.

Oh, and my specs are at the botton of the post.

regards,

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

madlab

Post by madlab » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:52 am

Since version 4, absynth crashes Live the hard way if I try to choose a preset from the Live's GUI menu.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

futrelle

Post by futrelle » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:24 am

I'm having trouble with N.I. plugins as well -- I've got Xpress keyboards (stripped down pro53, FM7 and B4). latest versions of Xpress and live, mac os 10.3.9.

anyhoo, lots of problems with these 3 NI plugins, which seem to be caused when I switch presets. Some of the things that have happened:

--ableton crashes and closes
--the plugin screws with live's controls; I have to click an inch or so ABOVE whatever I'm trying to click on for it to actually work. bizarre!
-- the track meters, etc freeze, even though the track keeps going and the synth responds to remote control (keyboard and knobs)
-- track keeps playing but all controls on the mac freeze up (can't click on anything, see spinning ball). I've let it run for awhile to see if it might unfreeze, but no luck; had to force quit.

I can "fix" some of these problems by clicking over to another track on live -- the meters will start working again, etc. But the eventual crashes seem inevitable.

Other than that, ableton runs fine. well, most of the time: I've had a few problems with a couple little freebie VST plugins, so I've stopped using them. but I paid for Xpress keyboards, dammit, and I'd like them to work!

looking at the NI website I notice they dont' list live as one of their recommended hosts. so I wonder if I'm just screwed when it comes to their software and live.