Off to a bad start

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ldrider000

Off to a bad start

Post by ldrider000 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:06 am

Geez. I just installed the thing a couple hours ago and have had nothing but problems. I can't believe that I paid money for this piece of crap. I've never felt more ripped off, and more angry, about a software purchase. I know my system is older and slower than most, but it is still within the system requirements specified by abelton (800mHz PIII, 40 gig HD, 512 Megs ram, win 2000, 1010 audio interface). The thing crashes whenever I try to load a set. It crashes when I try to exit the program. It crashes randomly. It takes about 30 seconds to play a clip and then it crashes. I have been doing computer based music for years and currently run Cubase, FL6, Acid, Rebirth, and others with no problems at all. I want my money back damnit.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Considering many other people have success with Ableton, i suspect your hardware is causing conflicts. I think you should send Ableton the crash log.

THX,
Jason D
www.statikfire.com
- downloads for club dee jays and internet radio stations
- forum with articles on mixing

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:52 pm

considering its more than seven months since its release, and the forum is still plagued with threads like these. I'd say theres a good chance it amounts to a little more than simply hardware problems.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:24 pm

I went to check the system requirements on the site and it say minimum 600 Mhz CPU, I think that's a bit optimistic...

If you're really serious about wanting a refund you should contact them, they're a really nice company wouldn't surprise me if they actually gave you one.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm

What I have learned over time, is that whenever you see software minimum specs, you need to at least double that to get something even remotely useable.

ldrider000

Post by ldrider000 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 am

This just keeps getting better and better. I went ahead and installed version 5.0.3. When I tried running it I got an error message that said ...

"Cannot open file "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ABELTON\LIVE 5.0.3\Resources\Misc\MetronomeUp.wav""

I hit the okay button and then got the following message...

"Live 5 has caused an error in LIVE 5.0.3.EXE.
Live 5 will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

I rebooted and tried again. The same thing happened again. At least version 5.0.2 would open. 5.0.3 won't even start up on my machine.

Geeez.

ldrider000

Post by ldrider000 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:04 pm

I just want to add that Abelton tech support have tried their best to fix my problem. Dom Wilms has been very helpful and responsive. It's just that nothing has worked. He even offered to talk to their sales team about a refund.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:06 pm

ldrider000 wrote:This just keeps getting better and better. I went ahead and installed version 5.0.3. When I tried running it I got an error message that said ...

"Cannot open file "C:\PROGRAM FILES\ABELTON\LIVE 5.0.3\Resources\Misc\MetronomeUp.wav""

I hit the okay button and then got the following message...

"Live 5 has caused an error in LIVE 5.0.3.EXE.
Live 5 will now close.
Today I installed the Live 5.0.3 demo on my little boy's Win98 box and ran into the same problem. :(
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:49 am

I cannot say Live 5.0.3 is solid as a rock, but runs, works as expected (so far with minor glitches) and I experience hung on exit sometimes (many forum posts about it). See my configuration below, hope it helps. Which version of CUbase you're in?
I know it sounds weird but it could be useful to install a clean copy of Win2000 without all the rewire (Acid, Cubase,Rebirth,FL6). To avoid loosing your configuration you can norton ghost you machine, uninstall all the music software and try Live alone (better on a Win2k clean install). When live starts loads rewire and this might crash if some exceptions occurs. If you do not own Norton Ghost, you can try with partimage (freeware) http://www.partimage.org/. I cannot say that it will work but it's a try (better do a separate backup of all documents). Windows can be set to be a good DAW, but you have to keep it clean. It's painful at times.
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers