BFD and Ableton 5.2

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
DJHELLO!

BFD and Ableton 5.2

Post by DJHELLO! » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Ok bear with me here because I may just be being a bit useless and I'm new to LIve but...

I just installed BFD on my new Intel Mac and am currently testing the 5.2 beta of Live.

I just cannot get Live to "see" or "detect" BFD I've tried re-scanning selecting custom folders it just refuses to see it. I spent nearly 5 hours messing about with it yesterday.

Basically I have two questions...

1. Does anyone use BFD with Live and if so are there any major minor bugs and or things to be aware of.

2. Is there anything stupidly obvious I should re-check before tying again.

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:26 am

I don't think there is a Universal Binary or Mac Intel version of BFD. Mac PPC versions wont rund on your Intel Mac when your host is Intel native.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

DJHELLO!

Post by DJHELLO! » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:27 pm

ok - I think.

I tried running the old 5.02 demo and it picks up BFD fine (though obviously it crunches along with a couple of tracks running) - does this support your theory?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions I'm not that techie :)

But essentially is what you're saying that - when I run the old Live it is using PPC emulation (rosetta) so it detects the PPC BFD VST (theres a mouthful)... but when I run the new Live it is running on Intel and therefore does not detect the PPC BFD VST - or does detect it but it simply isn't compatible.

Is that right? Basically I have to get - if and when it arrives - the BFD Universal Binary update?

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:06 pm

DJHELLO! wrote:I tried running the old 5.02 demo and it picks up BFD fine (though obviously it crunches along with a couple of tracks running) - does this support your theory?
Yes absolutely, Live 5.0.2 runs in Rosetta emulting a Power PC on the Intel processor. You will notice signicifant worse performance.

In Live 5.2 we introduced a Universal Binary for Live. It runs native with the Intel processor and is much faster. But for technical reasons of Mac OS X it can only run Intel versions of plug-ins.

Note that Universal Binaries include both, PowerPC and Intel native versions.

Hope that helped.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

DJHELLO!

Post by DJHELLO! » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Yeah cheers Frank, that did help - and for anyone wondering I contacted FXpansion who said that they are currently working on the Universal Binary BFD.

They hope to have it available very soon.

Which (while slightly vague) is reassuring :)