LIVE 5.2- CPU SPIKES and AUDIO GLITCHES STILL PRESENT

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Doog

Post by Doog » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:04 am

experimented further, it only occurs when you force ableton to warp at the global tempo, "Warp XXX BPM From Here". if i "Warp From Here (Straight)" or "warp from here (start at XXX BPM)" then the problem does not occur.

So that "Warp XXX BPM From Here" setting is not usable for me on whole tunes. Right I'm off to re-warp most of my stuff. Damn it!
2.6 Athlon XP, Live 5.2, 1.5GB Ram, 2 x Audiophile 2496, Faderfox DJ1 & LV2

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:00 am

Doog, not sure If I'm catching you right but sounds like you're talking about normal time stretching artifacts. One must remeber that being able to change pitch and tempo indepedantly is a relevantly new technology and while live's engine is one of the best at it in realtime, there will still always be artifacts. AFAIK the Beats, tone and textures use granular time stretching where small 'grains' of the sample are either repeated or cut out, and Complex uses FFT to stretch which has a lot in common with MP3 type compression so it's no surprise you are hearing this sort of degradation. In general, stick to beats for whole songs as this will preserve the transients that lie on the beats and minimize stuttering drums.
If you are trying to transpose more than a couple of semitones on a whole mix, you can forget getting a 'clean' sound, it just aint gonna happen.
Hope this helps
MacBook Pro Retina. Ableton 10/11.

spacesuit

spikes and glitches

Post by spacesuit » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:42 pm

Disable your wireless card and all will be good. Also turn off Windows Defender beta.
IMac Intel 1.83 G5 Firewire 410
P4 2.4, 1GB ram, ASUS P4PE, Audiophile 2496, XP Home, Live 5.2, Reason 3.05, Cubase SL, Wavelab 4

Doog

Post by Doog » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:18 pm

i realise when using real time time stretching more artifacts will be present, as oposed to when using a slower but more effective process ala wave lab etc. This much is obvious.

What i'm refering to is a strange disparity between the noise when using different types of complex mode. As i mentioned in my previous post this particular level of digital noise is only present when using the "Warp XXX BPM From Here" mode. Not when using any of the other complex modes. And even with the fixed BPM mode it lessens to a negligable level if the gloabal tempo is raised or lowered from the XXX BPM used to warp the clip.
Even though if you examine the later stages of the clip the fixed bpm warp mode has done a better job of locking on than the straight mode, obviously only if you are using the correct bpm in the first place.

Now that i've sussed this out i just dont use that mode, i now simply "Warp From Here (Start At XXX BPM) after finding the correct bpm using "Warp From Here (Straight)" and the digital noise is barely noticable as i dance round the bedroom with my headphones on.
2.6 Athlon XP, Live 5.2, 1.5GB Ram, 2 x Audiophile 2496, Faderfox DJ1 & LV2

evoid

Post by evoid » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:31 am

after reading the latest posts, i've found a pattern for the glitches and dropouts:

in the gigs i've discribed in my last post, on the first one i did the powerup just before the gig, getting no problems at all during it. on the second one, i've setted up my things a bit early, and left the computer on with the live set ready for play for 5 - 6 hours.. glitches all the way.

at last one thing i can do to avoid the glitching.. powerup just before play
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

exz0rb

Post by exz0rb » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Unfortunetly, I have to report the same is happening for me aswell. I had a problem not so long ago when I was advised to upgrade to 5.2. So I did and everything went fine for a while.

But unfortunetly today I experienced a problem which left me furious. The sound quality just turned exceptionally poor and started producing a very weird kind of sound which left me with no other option other than to take my pc for a service / soundcard investigation. Hardware or software? - hard decision. It's been gradually going.

glitch? / spike?, instinct says it was. The only way I can describe this is, it was normal quality one second and then all of a sudden the sound changed from being that...to some poor sounding net sounding stream with low (can't handle like latency) combined with a screw or wasp bouncing around in a tin can effect :lol: ... or there abouts.

Yet sometimes I can use latency as low as 2ms without problems, but live always seems to crash too often. Now, when I reboot the pc, windows xp startup jingle pops and shreaks - weird. Tried the cpu threshold beep test upto 80% in prefs, but it just rattles and clips at 30%! I have quite a high spec pc.

Other than that I can't be unfaithful to live and never will be because with problems or not, I love this program and it is worth alot to me in all honesty and I want to continue using it for my pro career.

It has huge potential, I just think ableton should really try and fix these annoying performance and stability issues...and I know they are trying very hard so fair play to them.

It seems the problem does indeed revolve around latency and cpu loads though, even if it don't show on the meter. But before I got live I always questioned my installed memory....so I'll post results of the pc's / soundcards service from the engineers when I get the news, let's prayer and hope.

For the time being, I can't use live for what I want to do which is a huge shame because I can take it to endless limits - so I'm stuck with no proddy :(

Let's hope my baby returns fit and working and that the problem is all nice and fixed *sniff* :( 8)

zpixel

Audi Glitches and CPU spikes

Post by zpixel » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:44 am

I've noticed a couple of peeps stating the situation worsens after opening ableton for a while and then starting their session. This sounds like memory leaks. If the code has not been tweaked properly then memory leaks can create these kind of symptoms. Could be something else, but leaks should be investigated.
Tyan i845GL, 1.6Ghz Pentium 4, 512 Mb, Radeon 9100, Echo Gina, Behringer UB1204, BCR2000, Ableton 5.2, Stylus RMX

exz0rb

Post by exz0rb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:32 am

Hi zpixel, yeah it sure does. This convinces me that it is a very complex problem, and also very hard to detect until event, for the fact that live can run smoothly for anything from 5 minutes to an hour, and then suddenly drop out / crash or glitch.

Actually it's funny you should say that about memory leaks because this crossed my mind also. I've set my system event logger to on, and check event's after every crash or occuring problem. And actually more often than not, it has logged application error's only specifically based around live & module, but always at two or three specific addresses which seem to come up every single time. Some problems in another service running at the same time is also often logged...

It's very hard to tell sometimes, since one of the symptoms of bad physical memory is such sign as of which occuring. But, given the fact that so many people have the same thing, I highly doubt this to be the case and suspect it is the bug and not hardware.

The only reason I took my pc in for service / investigation was simply because now - the sound on a whole, live or not is playing up, and for the reboots, or screen flashes which occur. I expect news in the next few days...

exz0rb

Post by exz0rb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:44 pm

the news!

yes there was definitely problems there with the memory, both 1 GIG sticks have now been replaced with new sticks. There was also some notable problems with sound, which have been fixed. There was also some mention of the bios, which has also been fixed. Everything has been fixed.

well this is interesting, I wonder if all these other people have dodgy memory. Getting the pc back tomorow so I should find out exactly how live acts with the fixes.

sigh

exz0 :D

zpixel

My resolution... so far

Post by zpixel » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:04 am

I moved my plugins folder and my Stylus RMX files to a new harddrive, on which I keep my samples, music, and etc. The CPU meter fell from an average of 30-50% to an average of 11% with no spikes or noise. I am encouraged.
Tyan i845GL, 1.6Ghz Pentium 4, 512 Mb, Radeon 9100, Echo Gina, Behringer UB1204, BCR2000, Ableton 5.2, Stylus RMX

eprom

Post by eprom » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am

i just played my second gig with ableton live 5.2, and i was frustrated to find that the audio output was glitching with 10-100ms dropouts every ~1500ms. this was not happening all the time, but rather, intermittently - it would go away for 30 seconds, and then come back for 30 seconds, for my entire set.

the strange thing is that i do not have this problem at home, with my laptop set up in my bedroom, nor did i have it at any other gigs.

since i am unable to replicate this behavior, it leads me to believe that it was a power issue. is this possible? could poor AC power cause this intermittent glitching? note that the glitching happened even with CPU ~3%, only one track playing, no VSTs active.

my setup:

Dell Inspiron B130
512MB RAM
60GB HD 5400RPM
TASCAM US-122 USB Audio Interface
M-Audio Oxygen8 Midi Controller

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm already in the process of upgrading the RAM, by the way.

+1

Post by +1 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:20 am

BAH
I upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.2.1 to get rid of glithes, but no luck!!

I get glitches nomatter what I do.. I have 1,7Mhz dell laptop with 1G ram and 100Gb 7200Rpm disk..
I boot up the comp, start live open up a live set and I get instant glitches. I try to disable all kind of hardware (wifi, bluethooth, external audio card, mouse and so on) still no luck..
I set audio buffer to 400ms, still glitches.
audio buffer 500ms, plug in buffer 8192 - It works, no glithes :evil:

I wait for live 6 and If that dont fix problems i go back to trackers.. Fuck these audio glithes and fancy audio programs that don't work

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:50 am

please vote if you want to.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48087

Ableton Approved Hardware Poll
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

+1

Post by +1 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:28 am

Well, just did a reinstall of win, installed live and did defragmenting..

Now I don't get thoose random glitches :lol:

androids

Post by androids » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:32 am

My problem is the same : http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47511

by chance my laptop has two HD and I cant boot from either the first one or the second one.

On my first HD : my standard configuration ... web, audio, everyday's tools and so on ....
Using Ableton 5.2 I have random CPU spikes and audio glitches since end of july (I had no problems before).

CPU spikes are not really CPU overload : using the task manager the CPU goes down to 0% ...

On my second HD I installed XP and the same Live 5.2 version, and using the same external USB2 drive for all my loops I didnt have any CPU spike ...

my conclusion :

1/ it is not hardware related (exact same hardware on my 2 configs, with same drivers)

2/ it does not depends on fragmentation (exact same external HD used for my samples)

3/ it does not depends on HD reading process : using only a single CPU-low VSTi (SonicCharge MicroTonic) I still have CPU spikes with a CPU level of 3% ...

4/ it is not related to USB mouse (my 2 configs use USB mouse) or MIDI controller (I dont have any)

The only difference between my 2 configs is : installed software ...