5.2 STILL CHOPPING OFF TIME AT START OF RENDERED TRACKS !!!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
James Cater

Post by James Cater » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 pm

I don't want to have to make 11 manual edits of my mixes every time I render a mix set.

Also once Ive rendered the file the Bar markers are no longer in place so it would take forever to get the editing right.

I'm sorry but if you still don't get this then I really can't help you.

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:51 pm

James Cater wrote:I'm sorry but if you still don't get this then I really can't help you.
man, you're the one that needs help.

it sounds like you're a bit clueless if you can't find the first fucking beat of a bar, taking you forever to find it ...
I also think it would be quicker to remove one bar on 11 tracks than coming here and complain about it. I'd say ten minutes to crop 11 tracks, if you take your time.
Isn't there someone around you with a sense of rhythm that could do it for you ?

I'm outta here
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

louZ

Post by louZ » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:05 am

you could try resampling the master output into a new track and then rename the resulting audio file in your wav editor. that way no rendering is necessary.

some people even argue the end result of resampling like this sounds better than rendering in Live.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:54 am

> I design and write real time banking trading systems in C++/C# for a living. These
> systems are 10x the size and complexity of Ableton so I belive I am qualified to
> highlight design flaws in this product.

I think you'll find that that qualifies you to write real time banking systems.

...and I wasn't insulting you...I was trying to help you, but it's taken more than a few posts for you to express that the problem is not due to any fault in Ableton, but rather due to a workflow problem created by your cd-burning software, which seems to be unable to put track markers in a single audio file...Granted that it would be great if Ableton could burn a CD including track markers as part of the render process, but actually, now that I think about it, I haven't burnt an audio cd for more than a couple of years.

I for one would much prefer that Ableton simply render exactly what it was told to, rather than guess that I wanted it to consider something that happened earlier in time. What if I had a 3 minute delay on a track that was 2 minutes ago in the timeline? Should Ableton divine that I needed that data as well? How does Ableton work out what third party VST and AU plugins are doing in the timescale without even knowing what those plugins are doing?

James Cater

Post by James Cater » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:43 am

I agree that Ableton cannot take account of every eventuality within every plugin, especially if there are long time delays.

However a delay of 2 minutes is extremely unlikely and I suspect that going back by 1 bar before the start of the render point would cover 99% of all problems with effects that have a delay component (reverbs, delays, phasers, flangers etc)

Thank you for the earlier suggestion of recording the entire mix from the master, this would certainly help in future if I can't find a simple workaround.

I HAVE FOUND A WORKAROUND TO THIS PROBLEM....

I can use automation to ensure that the delay is always exactly 0ms at the track marker points.

Thanks to everyone for all the assistance.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Hello James,

One thing that I don't get quite well: you are putting a delay on the track, with the dry/wet parameter set to 100% wet right ?

If so, the direct sound from the track does not output, but only the sound coming from the delay.

Tell me what I didn't get right here.

Kind regards,

Amaury
Ableton Product Team

James Cater

Post by James Cater » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Yes I'm putting 100% wet delay onto the track, i'm trying to delay all the sound by a few milliseconds during the mix into another track.

This gives the mix a more interesting "human" feel, especially when the delay is gradually increased from 0 to a few milli seconds over a bar or so.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:17 pm

ROFL.

if you're looking for feel, why not just push a few warp markers around over the first 30 bars or so of each track. better still for that authentic vinyl lumpy bass sound, prepare each audio file with a inverse RIAA eq curve, and then apply a RIAA eq curve at playback. if you use 'repitch' the RIAA curve will realistically stay the same whilst the pitch of the track moves under it. ad some crackle, and by the time you're done you could have mixed the fucking thing with a couple of turntables and some records.

(just jokes - somehow I knew you were going to say that you were using delay to create 'mix feel' the instant you said '14ms' and 100% wet)