Live 2.1.1 Short Freezing

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
DCools

Post by DCools » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:13 pm

Hello,

I'm having problems with Live 2.1.1 and the sample display and I want to know if I'm the only one. All files in the sample display are songs and no samples so the time of these files are four to six minutes. I use Live for remixing at the moment.

Every time when I zoom in, in the sample display, (Drag Left, Right, Up and down) the CPU goes up to 100% and for a few seconds I can't do anything. The music continues to play, if there is music on one track. If there is music on more then one track at the same time, the sound is lost or stuttering and I have to shutdown Live with Task Manager, which takes a long time because live is using the CPU 100%.

When I drag left and right (Not zoomed in yet) every thing goes well. When I zoom in, every thing still goes well. When I zoom in really deep then there's the problem.

Intel Pentium III 1Ghz, 512MB ECC memory
Live 2.1.1 (Windows)
Windows XP Professional (US) SP1 (With the latest patches)
Echo Layla24 (Driver version 6.08
Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 (version 6.14.10.4403)

I'm back to Live 2.03 right now so I can play again.

Regards,
Diederick F.M. Cools.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:12 am

Hi DCools,

No, you're not the only one, I'm on Windows XP also with a fairly high spec machine and I've had similar troubles with 2.1.1. The best thing I found to do was to go back to using version 2.03, it certainly seems to be alot more stable. I'm not sure, but maybe there are some "work arounds" with 2.1.1 if so can someone please post them somewhere on this site.

Regards,

Richard C.

HajoCorsten

Post by HajoCorsten » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:38 pm

DCools hit the nail - same with me! And precisely the same behavior of Live 2.1.1 (I've a similar hardware/software setup).

The current update has served the Mac community only (and supposedly some expensive DSP-manufacturers Ableton keeps toggling for 'partnerships', besides other hardware-providers).

Could anyone come up with any actual improvement by 2.1.1 for the Win-platform?

Hajo

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:45 pm

Finally got around to installing 2.1.1 (had to finish up some project before upgrading) and the performance is _much_ worse under WinXP. I had to roll back to 2.0.3 in order to properly use it at all. I would guess that Ableton either didn't get a decent/diverse beta userbase, or there are only a handful of us windows users with more than adequate setups that are screwed with the update. At least I had the 2.0.3 installer backed up... I'd hate to be a new user and get 2.1.1 now.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:44 pm

similar problems here with 2.1.1 win xp 512 ram 2.4 ghz darned frustrating. glad to know i am not the only one. i guess

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:56 pm

Same here on WinXP AMD 2000+ 512Mb RAM...
I just started to learn Live a bit more with the 2.1.1 update and i'm not exactly thrilled about it... :?

Today i was trying some stuff with acid wavs and whenever 2 or 3 tracks were playing and i added a fresh wav that needed Live to generate an asd file, the whole system just hung for several minutes.
The workaround is stopping Live and adding wav's one by one before hitting play, but it wouldn't it be nice to have a batch command-thing that generates these files for a whole directory?

What i am a bit worried about is that i get the feeling 2.1.1 seems to have a number of annoying issues, which might be resolved if i pay for the Live 3 upgrade. And going back to 2.0.3 would mean: missing the first beat of Rewired Reason loops again...

DanMan

Post by DanMan » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:13 pm

I have same types of problems. AMD 2400+, 1024 MB, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. Latest DirectX.

pazzap

Post by pazzap » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:04 am

yep, same here :(

i downloaded the live demo 2.1.1 for the first time ever, and although i love the app, i am finding it impossible to use in realtime..

i am using it as a reqire slave to logic 5.51

the problems are:

1)whenever i drag a wave from live's browser to the arrange page logic cpu instantly overloads and playback stops
2)the same happens if i do some zooming in live, ,or sometimes just by moving clips around within live
3) if i change the master tempo in logic, the cpu goes to almost 100% which makes it impossible to do relatime tempo changes

athlon 3200, Win2kSP4, ,1 gig corsair ram, Echo mia driver 6.08, geforce 4 latest driver, asus a7n8x deluxe..

no irq conflicts, pc in standard mode

it's a real shame because this software would let me stay with logic on pc for quite a while yet as my only real whingewith logic pc are the lack of advanced looping tools...if i could use this successfully i would buy it for sure.....

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:34 pm

I would guess that Ableton either didn't get a decent/diverse beta userbase...
Well that could well be the problem. The "beta test userbase" were the very same people that paid for the software in the first place!! I don't know about you but I am 1) Mainly interested in USING the software I buy, not buying into a beta-test program 2) Fed up to the back teeth with software that isn't PROPERLY tested by a selected testing team. 3) Am not interested particularly if I have ONE update per year AS LONG AS THE FRIGGING UPDATE ACTUALLY WORKS AS PER THE SPECIFICATION STATED!!! and 4) Am personally sick of all this "public beta" bullshit that everyone has bought into making developers potentially less responsible with the releases they provide.

We've been coerced into a cycle of "Hey? Where's the next release so Bug X can be fixed or Bug Y from two versions back that has reappeared can be addressed? And whenever you do the zealots jump on your back with a "Cool it bud, I'm sure the guys are doing all they can... Wait for the NEXT release!!"

We need to be putting LESS pressure on these developers to release updates BUT when they DO release something it should be FULLY tested and not be backward steps in any way, shape or form. That is just slack public relations not to mention lazy quality control.

Ableton are no worse than any other developer of such software as this. The "public beta" nonsense that Steinberg got the ball rolling with mainly because at that point many people had spent a LOT of money on a piece of software that was falling apart at the seams. In that case it did some good but it has now been adopted by all and sundry as a getout clause for releasing v6.34.567.326.865.3156 rev 45/3 remainder 3 recurring of their software because everyone is expecting an "update" in a month or so anyway as a matter of course!

Even MIDI interfaces that are 4 years old are getting updates!! Does it work or doesn't it!!?? Does it take four fucking years to get something to do what it was supposed to the very day you bought it??

Live is beautiful software andsuch things as have happened since v2 was released are glitches that Ableton have worked very hard to address. They have done and are doing more than most but this public beta bullshit is doing none of us any favours in the long run.

Ableton. Get yourself together a band of knowledgeable, enthusiastic testers, say 40 or so on each format, and give them proper testing sheets to fill in. Build a relationship up. Reward them. We will all benefit from this in the long run and you won't end up chasing your tails with stupid anomolies that reallly shouldn't be creeping through no matter how many people come on here and pat you on the back (which you fully deserve by the way) and protect any comments made to your work method.

Sort it out. You are a good bunch of creative coders and musicians. Do something better than the way Steinberg etc have gone whose "fixed" lists read like a copy of war & peace. Most of which are things that have been working at least 5 years in various guises.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:44 pm

Oh. And to add to that. I have a 16 channel/24-bit digital interface I have used for four years. It has ASIO/GSIF/WDM/KS works on all variants of Windows and hasn't has ONE "update" in 18 months and that was the first one in a year. Why? Because it works!! They did their homework and delivered what they said they would in the specification that you thought it would meet when you bought it!

We need attention to detail, not updates evry five nano-seconds. Leave that to the others.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:27 pm

Live 2.1.1 is a terrible mistake. It's impossible to work with it and it's impossible beleave that we have to pay for a working version (see Live 3)

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:17 am

Hi,

Just took up Ableton on their ProTools / Live deal. Freezes up on my machine when loading up clips. Stutttering audio - got to be killed by Task Manager, and the machine rebooted. I assume we're all seeing the same thing. Very disappointing. My system - Windows XP, P2.6, 1GB RAM. I hope they distribute a patch soon.

David

atom_b

advantages of public beta

Post by atom_b » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:12 am

As lucky as I am for now none of these problems occured for me using 2.1.1 on:

WinXP Pro
Dual CPU 1GHz Intel (VIA chipset)
1Gb RAM
Matrox G550
RME Multiface (in multiclient ASIO along with Reaktor or whatever)
UAD1

But there's so many possible setups with any platform, there isn't a company out there that would be able to beta-test everything on their own.

That said, I received several fixes with the LIVE releases for ASIO trouble (ableton vs. RME) and smaller glitches just BECAUSE I had attended public beta.

The contrary applies to NI and other companies (where they don't make use of public beta procedures). Only after having sent my complaints often enough about a dual cpu bug wich left me alone with Battery and Reaktor not workable at all for a VERY LONG time, I received a silent patch for Battery, but still had to wait a year for the Reaktor 4 release to fix this bug.

Well, I prefer to report my trouble, as precize as possible, to get my things fixed in time, and not hanging around complaining, whining and waiting to be graced alone by a company's will and plans. I for one very much appreciate the responsivness of ableton, it helps me to get my things done faster.

So what's this ranting about having to go back to 2.0.3? If I have to get it work, I do go back to what worked already, that's it. But if I apply to public beta and report, I'll get it fixed with the release already - until I change my setup to where some other bug may shine up :).

It all depends, that's what we all know. So pay respect, your money alone doesn't gain that.

Love!
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:09 pm

Hi folks,

this freezing bug under Windows should be solved within Live 2.1.2 ( http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4455 ).

If you want some additional information about this bug and how hard to fix it was you can read Bernd's posting about it: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4411

regards,
Alex

DanMan

Post by DanMan » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:03 pm

Thanks Alex for the update.