LIVE and Firewire 410

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mesaone

LIVE and Firewire 410

Post by mesaone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:37 am

I bought M-Audio's Firewire 410 audio interface, and it came with a version of LIVE (Delta 1.5.3 for OSX) that is set to work only with the Firewire 410.

I have the 410 properly installed (it works with all my other applications) and yet LIVE still doesnt respond -- it wont let me select the Firewire 410 in the audio preferences dialog.

is there a fix for this?
Mesa One
the APT, South Berkeley

kleine

Post by kleine » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:05 pm

Hello,

The m-audio 410 was accidentally bundled with the Live Delta version by M-Audio. The Live Delta works ONLY unfortunately with the Delta hardware. Nevertheless you´re eligable to upgrade from the (non-working) Delta to a fully working Live copy using the "upgrade card". You can find this card in your 410 package.

Best regards,
Ch. Kleine

mesaone

Post by mesaone » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:43 pm

welll maybe i should check out the price break.... but an LE version would be nice for firewire... but i'm told that if it is going to be released, it'll be awhile... Maybe they're waiting to see what the response to the firewire 410 is.
Mesa One
the APT, South Berkeley

Firewire 410

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:04 am

Does this (Live 1.x bundled with the M-Audio Firewire 410) mean that the copy of Live 2.x I already own doesn't work with the 410? The 410 was my first choice for a firewire interface for my G4 667 Powerbook.

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:44 pm

Of course the full version of Live works with Firewire 410. Reread Kleine's message a few times.

bioroid

esoterica

FireWire 410 and Live

Post by esoterica » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:25 pm

Wow. I was hoping the FireWire 410 would be the holy grail of audio interfaces, but despite the fact that it finally shipped a whopping 7 months after M-Audio's original promised release date, its software is a major disappointment.

1) The software will not run on my iBook 900. Period. Bounces a couple of times in the dock, then ... nothing.

2) I got the drivers working on my PC ... sort of. I bought the FireWire 410 largely so that I could use it for Pre-Listening in Live since Ableton still requires that you use one multichannel audio interface for pre-listening instead of two dual-channel interfaces. Big mistake. The awful FireWire 410 drivers make the FW410 show up to Live as five separate two-channel audio devices, so unless I am mistaken, it in fact cannot be used for Pre-Listening at all. Granted, I still think this is more Ableton's problem than the FireWire 410's, but M-Audio is Ableton's US distributor for crying out loud, and their products aren't even fully compatible.

I've emailed M-Audio about these issues, but unless I hear something extremely promising back from them, the FireWire 410 is going back.

sunit

Post by sunit » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:26 am

anyone else trying out this interface? i've been having clicks and pops running on a pc (dell inspiron 8100). can't tell if it's a dodgy power supply, the comp, or the actual 410 but other people i know seem to be doing fine with this interface.

-sunit

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:11 am

esoterica,

By Pre-Listening, do you mean like DJ style listening to one channel while music plays on another? That is very possible. The Firewire 410 has some very flexible routing. In the 410 Control Panel set the Phone to outputs 3/4. In Live Audio Preferences set the pre-listen to outs 3/4. To prelisten a track just click on the headphone icon right below the speaker icon under the pan control on a track. Done.

sunit,

I recommend to try the 410 with a desktop or a newer PC. That will let you know if the problem is the 410 or your laptop. What OS are you running on it? I know that the Dell 8100s had lots of audio relation issues due to the power management or something.

bioroid

esoterica

Post by esoterica » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:58 pm

bioroid,

I think you must have not attempted this in Live -- like I said, Live doesn't recognize the FireWire 410 as a multichannel interface, it recognizes it as five two-channel interfaces. This means that when you select one of the five "interfaces" you don't get to separately select which channels are used for Master and which are used for Pre-Listen. Try it.

This is a fundamental flaw in Live that it can't preview to a different audio interface than it masters to. If Live didn't have this flaw, I wouldn't have gotten a FireWire 410 in the first place -- I would have used a $35 Griffin iMic coupled with my computer's on-board sound.

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:20 pm

esoterica,

I did try it in Live. I wrote those steps as I did them. What version of Live are you using? I am using 2.1.2. Also sounds like you are on a a Mac. I am on a PC and this works fine. I haven't tried this on a Mac but I could tonight.

bioroid

esoterica

Post by esoterica » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:41 pm

bioroid,

I think you're missing the point (I've tried this on my PC with both 2.1.2 and 3.0bX because like I said, the FW 410 software won't work at all on my Mac).

In Live, go to Preferences -> Audio, and at the bottom of that tab there is a Routing section with Master and Pre-Listen pull-downs. With a multichannel audio interface that has correct drivers, you can select different pairs of channels with those pull-down menus. Since Live thinks the FireWire 410 is five separately-addressable two-channel interfaces, those pull-downs are greyed out, and the Pre-Listening feature is not available.

I think you're talking about mono previewing -- if I wanted to do that, I would have used the two-channel onboard sound and wouldn't have bothered with an audio interface at all.

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:45 pm

esoterica,

Maybe something is wrong with your system but here it works just fine. I am talking about stereo pairs. I didn't install the drivers that came with the 410 CD but the newer ones online (verson 1007). Which version drivers are you running? When I click on Outputs in the Audio Prefs I have 5 stereo pairs I can turn on/off. I leave all of mine on.

Yeah maybe you have a bad unit.

bioroid

esoterica

Post by esoterica » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:59 am

bioroid,

You're still not getting what I'm saying. Live is fully capable of using any of the FW410's outputs, it's just not capable of using two channels as "Master" and two other channels as "Pre-Listen" simultaneously. This has been verified to me by M-Audio over the phone, so if your system is working differently, you must have gotten your drivers from someone other than M-Audio.

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:18 am

Take a look at this: http://www.bioroid.com/livepref.gif

That is my audio prefs in live.

bioroid

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:31 am

Is there an option in the Firewire 410 control panel between "multi-track" and "multiple applications" operation (or some similar names)?
Could explain the differences between you twos findings.....