Problem : Live 6 Sync Hardware

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
max&furious

Post by max&furious » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 am

The offset accelerate the start but the tempo at the begin too

At -300ms the start at not on the fist time, a little time after

Soo the offset option not resoud my problem

Chouch21

Post by Chouch21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 am

The offset accelerate the start but the tempo at the begin too

At -300ms the start at not on the fist time, a little time after

Soo the offset option not resoud my problem
Weird :roll:

Amaury : Excuse for the misses :
My 2 Midi interfaces :
- Edirol Fa101 wich is a soundcard who manage my audio via firewire.
- Edirol UM-2 2xIN 2XOUt only a midi interface

I'm using Live v6.0.1

I'll try with the interface from my BCR2000

Hi,

So, do you have a problem or MIDI sync at all, i.e. Live is sending a Master clock to a synth that runs it own sequencer, or the opposite? Or is it only when playing back notes from Live to play an external synth? Do you have the same problem with soft synth?

Regards,
Amaury
To resume :
Live (master) send Sync and Notes thru the same midi interface and cable to my synth (for ex : Nord Rack 2X).
On my synth, I turned ON the Arpeggiator (who is the syncronised with the master : it is cause when I vary the BPM in live, it varie on my synth)
But ... sometimes, notes are a bit late, sometimes its synced, sometimes notes are inverted (arpeggiato with 2 notes, sometime C, D, C, D, C, D like I want, then, D, C, D, C ...just inverted , in the same Live midi clip)
When I play it manually witch my master keyboard : no problem

I've tried to configure the Midi Clock delay but no better results.

I think, Live seems to have problems to send Sync AND notes at the same time. And I think, notes that are played in a clip are sometimes delayed.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:28 pm

Chouch21,

It would be a good idea to use the 2 different MIDI interfaces to do the two different MIDI tasks, if it is not already the case: on the ine used for sync, just turn 'track' and 'remote' OFF. Try both combinations, i.e. one interface for notes, the other one for sync, and the opposite, to see if you get different results.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Chouch21

Post by Chouch21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm

The problem is that I have only one midi IN port on my synth. :?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

kuniklo wrote:I'm using Live 6 with some Elektron stuff and an MPC and I'm not having these kinds of problems. I do get the occasional clock glitch but things stay in sync overall.

Clocked delays on my external synth seem ok too.

Not denying that you're seeing this problem but it's not universal.
Ditto, using an Elektron TM-1 interface and the midi ports on my Ultralite gives me very solid midi-clocking with the Machinedrum, ER-1, PodXT, and my Virus TI.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Chouch21 wrote:The problem is that I have only one midi IN port on my synth. :?
All right, so could you try doing one thing at a time, turning only the desired (OR 'track', OR 'sync') setting in the preferences, trying both MIDI interfaces, see if you get different results using either of the 2 MIDI interfaces for either of the two tasks?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Chouch21

Post by Chouch21 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 pm

All right, so could you try doing one thing at a time, turning only the desired (OR 'track', OR 'sync') setting in the preferences, trying both MIDI interfaces, see if you get different results using either of the 2 MIDI interfaces for either of the two tasks?
Ok I'll try different things and let you know...

justin

Post by justin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:44 pm

hi amaury,

i have had problems with midi sync too...

live v6.01 - send clock sync > korg electribe
and also configured the other way round, with live receiving midi clock (pattern / song mode).

i set the offset delay for the midi interface (Remote SL 25, automap mode, and latest OS) with live's midi prefs. it works for a while then i have to re adjust the clock sync, usually to a greater value... so for example, i start with -40ms, then i have to increase it to -100ms!

i also had crashes with v6.01, whilst using midi clock. initially i thought it might be related to the remote SL automap (which was an issue at one point during v5.2), but i've emailed crash log to tech support and got a reply (think it was daniel b) saying that they had identified "issues" with midi clock which could cause a crash, and that this would be fixed in the next update...

maybe you should give him a shout, to see if the issues outlined in this post are related - which sounds quite likely...

ez

justin

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:24 pm

It's not a problem for our hardware ar midi interface, it's live 5.x & 6.x who have a probleme for send a start in midi

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:43 pm

max&furious wrote:It's not a problem for our hardware ar midi interface, it's live 5.x & 6.x who have a probleme for send a start in midi
Hi,

You can say so. Nevertheless, some people report having no problems at all with MIDI Synchronization and Live, so, we are investigating any possible difference in people uses and gear, as to understand better what is wrong in the chain. Statement like 'it is Live having problems' don't help at all, sorry about that.

I mean, the goal is to identify problems, if any, and to reproduce them. We can certainly improve things, but to do so, we need precise and detailed information.

for instance, it seems that MIDI interfaces and the way they are used make a huge difference, and that is a big part of the investigation.

Then the way people use the interface, plug things, use it only for sync or not, and the very external devices they use to receive the sync is important to know too.

There are different usages to separate:

-Live as a master
-Live as slave
-Live sending MIDI notes only
-Live receiveing MIDI notes only
-a combination of the above cases.

Our users are used to a certain way of working and a certain level of support, and they know we don't leave such issues or confusion unanswered, even if sometimes it seems to take time. It generally means we are busy dtudying the issues, and no solution comes out of a magic trick. There are simply too many variables.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:08 pm

I have doing a test:

A sequence with kick on electribe, the same on live

When i press start on live(who send sync and note), the electribe play in sync, i listen not difference

ANd when i play rec, live add note, but not sync

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:13 pm

max&furious wrote:I have doing a test:

A sequence with kick on electribe, the same on live

When i press start on live(who send sync and note), the electribe play in sync, i listen not difference

ANd when i play rec, live add note, but not sync
So, Live is sending sync AND notes to the electribe.
-what do these notes play on the electribe? Is the kick sequence played by the internal sequencer of the electribe?

When you play, everything is in sync. Again, same question as above, are the two sequencers running, or are the kicks of the electribe plyed by the notes sent by Live?

When record is on, both are not in sync. Does it mean that you have a MIDI track armed, and you record a MIDI clip? Does it mean you record the audio from the Electribe? In bith cases, is the monitor button to IN, auto, or OFF? Try it with OFF and tell me if it changes something.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:09 pm

I have tested, when it's on "auto" I have bad sync

When i am on OFF i have good sync

Thanks men

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:15 pm

max&furious wrote:I have tested, when it's on "auto" I have bad sync

When i am on OFF i have good sync

Thanks men
Al right, so your issue is not a MIDI timing issue, but a latency issue. Latency can simply not be ognored, since hardware is invloved, but if you don't monitor the data while recording, then you don't get latency, that makes sense.

So, in the end, su=ync is solid for you?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:19 pm

For me it's OK, but i don't use arpegiator for the moment