Problem : Live 6 Sync Hardware

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Chouch21

Problem : Live 6 Sync Hardware

Post by Chouch21 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi !

I know i'm not the first relating this problem but the sync between Live and Hardware still bad on version 6.
We hoped this problem will be corrected :(

Theres a lot of french users complaining about it so I decided to let you know about it. We don't understand why it works well with others softwares (Cubase or Nuedo) and not with our favorite !

We tried using the delay compensation, delay sync, switching midi interface ...
... nothing :(
The problem appears very clear when we try to sync an Arpeggiator from a synth (Nord Rack, MicroKorg) or a sequence (Electribe...). Always Live on "master" and the synths on "slave". The time seems to vary cause it"s sync for more than 1 bar then it's totally de-sync for 3bar, then sync for 2 etc... Not a matter of single time delay compensation.

(no problems with vst)

So we all hope Ableton will take care of this problem (since v5.0) We all want to use Live in a real set with real powerful synths and seqs (think about sysex to :wink: ) and not just mixing some losy MP3 . Please... :cry:

Let us know about it ! :wink:

Cheers
ps: Sorry for my english

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:21 pm

me too, my electribe start a little time afetr live and all my patern are wrong

If this problem does not have a solution I will not buy live and will remain under cubase :oops:

redpunk

Post by redpunk » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:27 pm

yeah man, it sucks having poor midi sync with hardware...you can always try hooking live with cubase (rewire),if you have it,..and sync your hardware with Cubase,lets hope live will get better soon @ this.

cheers!!

Harry Covert

Post by Harry Covert » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:43 pm

So much trouble with hardware makes me maaadd!!!! 8O
I hope the ableton team will find us solutions to encrease stability of this soft for MIDI, it begins to be really infuriating for me and I know I'm not the only one :cry:
PLEASE!! DO SOMETHING FOR US POOR MIDI SYNC ORPHAN!!!
sending another SOS...

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:24 pm

max&furious wrote:me too, my electribe start a little time afetr live and all my patern are wrong

If this problem does not have a solution I will not buy live and will remain under cubase :oops:
Hello,

Are you aware that you can set an offset in Live Preferences, so you can match Live with your hardware?

To all: it aould really help if you post what kind of MIDI interface you use, how it is connected to Live and to the hardware machines, and also if you have or not experience with other softwares.

Kind regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:14 pm

For me a MOTU Midi Express XT USB, in cubase i have a perfect sync

It's only live who skid with sync

Chouch21

Post by Chouch21 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:39 pm

max&furious : As Amaury said, if it start a little time after Live you should try the Midi Clock Sync delay conf in the prefs to start correctly.

Our problem is that it start correctly, sometimes synced during few bars and loose the sync during the song. Please try to configure it and tell us if you have the same problem.

Amaury and all :
Tried with 2 different Midi interface :
- Edirol UM-2 2XIN 2xOUT usb interface
- Edirol FA-101 Soundcard

2 synths :
- Korg MicroKorg
- Clavia Nord Rack 2X

Computer :
Sony Vaio vgn-fe21S Centrino Duo 2 x 1,8Ghz
XP Pro
1 gig Memory

Something I forgot to notice :
Everything works perfectly when notes are played on my keyboard.
The trouble starts when midi is played by live (both quantified or not) and without any program changes or controllers variations in the clip.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:53 pm

it can't be fixed with an offset.

it makes the internal sequencers in my Nord Modular and the Machine Drum drift.

I get a better result simply pressing start on both at the same time.

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 pm

+1

i think it's just live who not send the start at good time

It's not a big problem for developer but a big for user who use hardware sequenceur ( electribe,mpc,machine drum, jomox....)

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 am

I'm using Live 6 with some Elektron stuff and an MPC and I'm not having these kinds of problems. I do get the occasional clock glitch but things stay in sync overall.

Clocked delays on my external synth seem ok too.

Not denying that you're seeing this problem but it's not universal.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 am

Chouch21 wrote:max&furious : As Amaury said, if it start a little time after Live you should try the Midi Clock Sync delay conf in the prefs to start correctly.

Our problem is that it start correctly, sometimes synced during few bars and loose the sync during the song. Please try to configure it and tell us if you have the same problem.

Amaury and all :
Tried with 2 different Midi interface :
- Edirol UM-2 2XIN 2xOUT usb interface
- Edirol FA-101 Soundcard

2 synths :
- Korg MicroKorg
- Clavia Nord Rack 2X

Computer :
Sony Vaio vgn-fe21S Centrino Duo 2 x 1,8Ghz
XP Pro
1 gig Memory

Something I forgot to notice :
Everything works perfectly when notes are played on my keyboard.
The trouble starts when midi is played by live (both quantified or not) and without any program changes or controllers variations in the clip.
Hi,

So, do you have a problem or MIDI sync at all, i.e. Live is sending a Master clock to a synth that runs it own sequencer, or the opposite? Or is it only when playing back notes from Live to play an external synth? Do you have the same problem with soft synth?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:08 am

bensuthers wrote:it can't be fixed with an offset.

it makes the internal sequencers in my Nord Modular and the Machine Drum drift.

Hello,

So, to understand well: without an offset, both sequencers run well, but with a delay? And if you set an offset, both sequencers start together but then the sync drifts? What MIDI interface are you using? On what computer, and is the MIDI interface used for other matters?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:11 am

max&furious wrote:
+1

i think it's just live who not send the start at good time

It's not a big problem for developer but a big for user who use hardware sequenceur ( electribe,mpc,machine drum, jomox....)
Hello,

Again: Have you tried setting an offset for the MOTU Midi Express XT USB output sync?

Also, for all, the Live version you are using is a good info. It is also usefull to know if your MIDI interface is used only for sync, or if it is a MIDI only interface or MIDI and audio.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

max&furious

Post by max&furious » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:23 am

My midi interface is only used as a midi interface, ,o sync, no audio

Only midi, soo how i can setting an offset in live ?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 am

max&furious wrote:My midi interface is only used as a midi interface, ,o sync, no audio

Only midi, soo how i can setting an offset in live ?
Open the Preferences, MIDI pane, click on your MIDI interface name in the outputs section, and see the offset setting in the bottom (Live 5), in Live 6, you have to 'unfold' your MIDI interface's output, by clicking the little arrow, and set the offset.

In both versions, the offset is unique to each MIDI port, so be sure you set the right one.

Is you MIDI interface used only for sync, or other things as well? If only for sync, just turn off 'track' and 'remote' for that port.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team