Beta3 - few things with ASIO... and a great reverb... and Th

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
atom_b

Beta3 - few things with ASIO... and a great reverb... and Thank You!

Post by atom_b » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:56 am

Well it seems to run all fine now.

Few things with ASIO:
Yes crackles are actually there after choosing new buffer. But reopening the driver didn't instantly help. I had to use a greater buffersize with my setup first to get rid of them, then I could change back to the initially used less buffering - strange. In all I have to go with 6ms latency minimum (better 12ms) now in a heavy loaded set with the multiface.

Still, or again, a released ASIO driver, will not be reclaimed by LIVE. I have to close an reload it in audio-options. Wasn't this differnt in beta1? Anyway, neither Steinberg nor N-I products, wich I use mainly besides LIVE show this behaviour on my system. Hmm, maybe this will be possibly fixed in a future patch?

Other, non ASIO related: I didn't check this out with an extra setup, but in two stes of mine there seem to occure slight tempo glitches at the end of longer loops, but this could be related to my slappy warping, and to your warp-engine now working more smooth and precise, wich made me noticing.

An overall impression is, that with beta3 cpu-load went up again (about 10%) im comparision with beta2 and especially beta1 with identically sets (proof me wrong, I'd be happy!). But load of an empty set is still very low ('bout 2%). And now I can reach higher values in load (up to 75%) without any distortions.

Yes, and the reverb you seem to be so proud of, it's a real cpu-hog (up to 20%). But, even that I didn't check it out completly, I have to state it is sounding great and has some unique features to it, that deliver nice colors to my sound. You must have build that with monolake and basic channel/rythm&sound in mind.

A great, great piece of work. Everything else I could check was running more smooth, more stable (under heavy cpu-load too). All in all it's matured now, isn't it. Hope you all get loads of sleep soon. And could you then please go out and convince N-I to implement ReWire ;-)

Thank You!

Atom
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

Nicholas

Feedback on beta 3

Post by Nicholas » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:16 pm

Well done with beta 3...!

All is fixed with XP and DSP Multiface/Digi 9652 ASIO driver correctly loading. Latency is still perfect as it was in B1 and Live 1.1 @ 1.5ms.

There seem to be some minor pops in playback with automation.
If a track has no automation is does not occur. It manifests like this. The CPU meter is cruising aroung 20-50% and then for fraction of a second it redlines 100%+ (a single pop in the audio stream occurs - a different sounding pop to a buffer undersize crackle) and instantly returns to it's previous "reasonble" and "stable" level.

As I test it more; midi sync..etc.. I'll give more feedback.

BTW the reverb sounds great.

P.S back off on the pizza and coke....greasy and sticky keyboards. :)

yon

Beta3 - few things with reverb...

Post by yon » Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:39 pm

"You must have build that with monolake and basic channel/rythm&sound in mind."

Perhaps in a future version,
we'll offer the Maurizio signature
edition including extra buttons for
"hiss" and "hum"....... ;)

On the coloration side, if you are looking
for a flatter response (less coloration in
the diffusion), you should turn on ER
modulation ("spin"), and set to roughly
0.25 Hz, with amplitude of 12% or so.
(Default release settings will likely be close
to this.)

Cheers
-Yon
yon@ableton.com

davemanning

Post by davemanning » Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:41 am

yon wrote: "You must have build that with monolake and basic channel/rythm&sound in mind."
Now I'm going to have to dig out my old Basic Channel compilation CD and listen for that. :-)

Dave
---
Dave Manning

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:11 am

yon wrote: Perhaps in a future version,
we'll offer the Maurizio signature
edition including extra buttons for
"hiss" and "hum".......
Sure this maurizio-signature would be great. and then add a noise-button too :D

By now I already prefer your reverb to every other plugin-reverb I used, except the UAD VerPro, wich is for other purposes anyway...

Goog thing!

Regards
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400