Screen redraw very slow on Vista

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
androids

Screen redraw very slow on Vista

Post by androids » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 am

Just checked Live 6 on Vista Ultimate.

Everything is running as it should (except that Aero is automatically disabled when loading Live because it is recognized as an "incompatible" application) BUT screen redraw is horribly SLOW !

Everything 'moving' on the screen (Vu-meters, loop info, loop position scroller ....) is not realtime anymore ... :?

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:25 pm

What happens when you disable all the fancy graphics?

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:00 am

djastroboy wrote:What happens when you disable all the fancy graphics?
Because Live seems not to be compatible to Aero, the "fancy graphics" will automatically disabled by Vista as long as Live is running.

BTW: I also noticed a sluggish user interface and a bad latency with Live under Vista. Live and Vista seems to be not the best friends. At least not yet ;-) However, I would highly welcome an official statement from the Abes regarding Vista (something similar the Propellerheads has already wrote on their website).

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:28 pm

I was thinking that if graphics were disabled before you start Live, the interaction might be different. We all disable fancy graphics on our audio workstations normally, right?

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:07 pm

djastroboy wrote:We all disable fancy graphics on our audio workstations normally, right?
Not more. In the 90s this was essential. Since Win XP it is wasted time to disable all the eye candy stuff. The most reputable german computer magazine c't has checked all these XP tuning tricks in detail. Conclusion was: 99 % of those are absolutely bullshit. They didn't bring any advantage, some of them are even counterproductive.

Regarding Vista: When Vista runs in Aero mode, the UI is completely hardware-accellerated. Sooner or later this could be also a big advantage for audio apps.

Herne

Post by Herne » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Hardware acceleration of the UI is a major PLUS Thomas.

Providing you have decent a DirectX9+ graphics chip, i.e. not an Intel or SIS integrated chipset, the UI redraws are all taken care of by the VGA card, not the CPU. This leaves more cpu horsepower available for other work.

There's a lot of confusion about how much power you need for Aero, a 128MB GeForce FX5200 will run it fine, it's crappy on board solutions that struggle. Nowadays most of my systems have at least GeForce6100 integrated, so they run Aero out of the box, with older machines YMMV.

Edit: The redraw problem appears to be related to the fact Live will run fullscreen with the F11 switch.