Sampletank 2 in Live: Frequent Crashes

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Enots

Sampletank 2 in Live: Frequent Crashes

Post by Enots » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:29 pm

I have the latest update for ST2. I notice that I get an error prompt by Live only when I have ST2 loaded and either try to drop in a replacement midi instrument in the same slot, or do some type of moving around of ST2 into another midi slot. once all I did was have the metronome clicking for about 10 minutes while on play and looking away from my computer (with an instance of ST2 loaded) and when I returned back to my computer, I had another Live prompt saying something about a serious error and Ableton had to shut down. Usually when this happens, I have to restart in order to get ableton up and running again. I'm on a gateway notebook, Turion MT-37 2GHz, 1 Gig Ram, XP home, Live 6.0.1
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

dkcalifornia

Sampletank 2.x crashing Live (and only live)

Post by dkcalifornia » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 am

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with SampleTank 2.x and Live 5.2. Similar circumstances....when moving around midi or after a record and try to move midi clips.

ST works fine in Sonar and everything else works fine in Live.

My bet is that it's a SampleTank problem. I'm going to try some things like setting my bit depth differently, configuring ST to only have 2 outputs, etc and see if that fixes the problem.

If you've already found a fix...please share!

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:24 am

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 am

Abes...... anybody in there? :evil:
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

dkcalifornia

Still "serious program errors"

Post by dkcalifornia » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Still having problems with Live 5.2.2, with the new Sampletank 2.2 downloaded.

The project seems to last a little longer before crashing with ST 2.2.

I only remember this happening since the Live 5.2.x upgrades. I've got a folder full of projects that use ST and now I can't open them and continue work unless i want to crash.

For now, I'm just going to migrate everything over to EMU-X. Too bad that Extreme Sample converter doesn't support the ST 2.x format.

I'm inclined to say I suspect something more wrong with IK than Ableton since every other plugin works fine with Live 5.2.2.

Pasha

Re: Still "serious program errors"

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:50 am

dkcalifornia wrote:Still having problems with Live 5.2.2, with the new Sampletank 2.2 downloaded.

The project seems to last a little longer before crashing with ST 2.2.

I only remember this happening since the Live 5.2.x upgrades. I've got a folder full of projects that use ST and now I can't open them and continue work unless i want to crash.

For now, I'm just going to migrate everything over to EMU-X. Too bad that Extreme Sample converter doesn't support the ST 2.x format.

I'm inclined to say I suspect something more wrong with IK than Ableton since every other plugin works fine with Live 5.2.2.
Are you using Windows or Mac?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

dkcalifornia

Post by dkcalifornia » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:20 am

Windows XP Pro

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 pm

dkcalifornia wrote:Windows XP Pro
When I was using ST on XP Pro I experienced random freezes of Live.
I had to change Audio to OFF and then back again to ASIO to unfreeze Live
without rebooting the system. Very annoying.
This happened the most when I was working on multiple tracks and doing many takes and undo's.

Can you confirm these problems as well?

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

dkcalifornia

Post by dkcalifornia » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:13 pm

At this point, I just stopped trying to use SampleTank with Live. The crashes also crashed the entire audio system and I would have to reboot. (BTW, my audio is ASIO EMU 1820M).

I finally threw in the towel on ST. I used Extreme Sample convertor to convert all the 1.1 format samples from the XL library into EMU X format. Then I used EMU X 'synthswipe' to sample the 2.0 format ones i needed.

I know that in the short term, I'm not going to bother upgrading to Live 6.x AND I'm never buying anything from IK Multimedia either. Not just because of this crash, but because of the absolute non-responsiveness from both company's support.

poshook

Post by poshook » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:10 pm

dkcalifornia wrote:At this point, I just stopped trying to use SampleTank with Live. The crashes also crashed the entire audio system and I would have to reboot. (BTW, my audio is ASIO EMU 1820M).

I finally threw in the towel on ST. I used Extreme Sample convertor to convert all the 1.1 format samples from the XL library into EMU X format. Then I used EMU X 'synthswipe' to sample the 2.0 format ones i needed.

I know that in the short term, I'm not going to bother upgrading to Live 6.x AND I'm never buying anything from IK Multimedia either. Not just because of this crash, but because of the absolute non-responsiveness from both company's support.
I have bought IK Multimedia Total Effect Bundle for a lot of money and of course I own Live 6 (also Live4, 5, Operator and Sampler) for a lot of money. Both of them support VST/VSTi but do not work together...

Instead of flowless work on my projects and professional results I got 2-3 crashes per hour.
Last time (in verision 5) I promised myself I will never bye next live and change for Cubase but finaly I bought Live 6 after all :) and have the same troubles as before in version 5.

what is very sad for me, nobody try to help me from IKM (1 month) and nobody from Ableton (16 months) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:35 pm

poshook wrote:
dkcalifornia wrote:At this point, I just stopped trying to use SampleTank with Live. The crashes also crashed the entire audio system and I would have to reboot. (BTW, my audio is ASIO EMU 1820M).

I have bought IK Multimedia Total Effect Bundle for a lot of money and of course I own Live 6 (also Live4, 5, Operator and Sampler) for a lot of money. Both of them support VST/VSTi but do not work together...

Instead of flowless work on my projects and professional results I got 2-3 crashes per hour.
Last time (in verision 5) I promised myself I will never bye next live and change for Cubase but finaly I bought Live 6 after all :) and have the same troubles as before in version 5.

what is very sad for me, nobody try to help me from IKM (1 month) and nobody from Ableton (16 months) :cry: :cry: :cry:
I got the same not response style since I own both, April this year.
Mail after mail I am sure of one thing : IK Support SUCKS!
The Abes on the other side had given me some suggestion and the crash frequency lowered .This means that they up to something but IK is not willing to collaborate... VSTi bring in problems it seems...I'm looking to my external gear....once again.
Now that I own a Mac I have experienced ST on this platform and I have to say that they seem to work together better than on XP. But one should not be changing platform for that.
:x
So what? I don't know. Probably ST is more to be blamed than Ableton, I think there's something 'obscure' involved.... :?
Mac Studio M1

dkcalifornia

Update

Post by dkcalifornia » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:11 am

Ok, SampleTank 2.2 has managed to crash Sonar 4 *and* Tracktion 2.

Glad EMU included SynthSwipe in v2. IK is not very cooperative with sample conversion software makers (espcially starting with 2.x). I guess the sounds and player are what they sale as the "whole experience". I used to really love ST. It has a real cool browser.

I'll stick to EMU-X. Too bad that a lot of the emu sound libraries are kind of dated.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:37 am

Any Mac+ST users with same problems?
I'm trying to understand

1. Why ST under Mac cannot be seen in live as a VSTi
2. If the root of problem is the way that IK did ST, should be a VST 2.3 version, not 2.4
3. Can you report which VSTi version is? (this is written inside the plug-in browser)
4. Who really OWNS Ik Multimedia?
- Best
- pasha
Mac Studio M1

Enots

Post by Enots » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm still getting those ST/Live crashes. I'll probably end up just recording ST as wave from my second computer (which is used as a sound module) and along w/ arming an audio track, arm a midi track so that I can alter tempo, pitch etc and just replay the midi and rerecord the ST off my desktop to keep flexibility.

Hopefully within the next few months some type of resolution is made
Christ Jesus is King
www.tonystonebeats.com

ghostman74

Need help verifying the problem

Post by ghostman74 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi folks.

I've run into the same problem with ST2. I think I've isolated the problem but could use a couple more people to make sure. It would be nice to have at least 3-5 more people.

In Live (I'm using 6.0.3) change the audio input and output to E-DSP Wave [ECE0] DX. This is E-MU's DirectX driver into thier DSP chips. Let me know if you are still having problems or if you were stable. Let me know HERE either way.

I have a system that has two soundboards in it (the 1820m and the Intel motherboard). I noticed during my frequent crashes that the E-MU Patchmix DSP applet was also becoming un-stable and/or non-responsive. First I tried switching to using the Intel card for i/o and only used the 1820m for MIDI. Everything was suddenly stable. Now I've switch to using the 1820m DSP DirectX drivers and have been pretty pleased. I'd like to know if there is something in IK's ASIO implementation that is causing a memory leak or something.

Can you folks help me out?

Thanks,

ghost!