Reason Rewire Latency?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
thracks

Reason Rewire Latency?

Post by thracks » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm new to Live, coming from DP. So far I'm giddy with joy at the concept of Live. I'm loving everything about it..... except rewiring Reason.

I hooked up reason via Rewire and started using Live MIDI clips to trigger Reason. The result- horrible latency. Since I'm new here I did a search of the forum and came up with some very informative threads.......

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25534

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30254

This was not the answer I was hoping to find. Coming from DP, Rewire was always just slightly off. But not like this. It has rendered Reason unusable to me. Luckily I have plenty of other soft synths and samplers to keep me going, but I'd love to use Reason.

Am I missing something? Or is there a fix out there?

Thanks, and I look forward to learning more about Live here.
MacBook Pro 13" | OS 10.6.8 | DP 7.2 | Live 8.2.5 | APC 40 | NI Audio 2 DJ | Reason 5 | Record 1.5

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Reason 2.5 works great for me rewired to Live 6 on my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop running XP sp2, 3.2 Ghz p4 processor and 1 GB ddr, 60 Gb7200 internall HDD and 300 GB 10000 rpm external USB 2.0 hdd.

Make sure your latency settings are a low as you can get, I find 128 samples acceptable. This needs to be set in Live as Reason is the slave.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:04 pm

I have posted quite extensively on this topic over the last year or so, so I won't go into any huge detail here.

The key things to get Reason to play in sync is any one of the following:

1. Don't engage PDC in Live
2. Use Reason's own sequencer and devices to play itself.
3. Don't use any VSTi or VST in Live.
4. Render any Reason track to audio and re-align manually if needed

Number 2 is probably the easiest if you have lots of VST and Reason devices.

The Abes are working on a fix, but at the moment they haven't set any date on it arriving.

thracks

Post by thracks » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it's not just me. Here's to hoping they find a fix for this.
MacBook Pro 13" | OS 10.6.8 | DP 7.2 | Live 8.2.5 | APC 40 | NI Audio 2 DJ | Reason 5 | Record 1.5

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:49 am

Yo thracks:

Welcome to the forum. You are an asset to any group you choose to be a member of.

As for the ReWire issue, I am on the PC platform, and I do not have a problem with ReWiring Reason (or any other client for that matter). I'm wondering if it is a Mac specific issue.

I've also had better luck since dumping the M-Audio cards in favor of RME hardware. Yes, you heard me correctly, I dumped my Delta cards.
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:51 am

rictheobscene wrote:I'm wondering if it is a Mac specific issue.
No, its on PCs as well.

Whether you have a problem with this does depend on so many things. The actual delay that you hear appears to be dependant on the maximum delay compensation time of any plug-in. So if you are using a really needy plug-in, you'll hear a lag between the Live and Reason streams.

If you use Live plug-ins only with Reason, then it is unlikely you'll have a problem. It also depends on what you are doing with Reason. Using synth sounds with long attacks means that again the lag is not noticed as much.

One workaround is to make the Reason audio return track 'track delay' to be larger than the largest PDC time. If you put -100mS in there this should be good enough. However, any self playing Reason devices like Redrum and Matrix will be 100mS out of step.

You can create two input channels from Reason, one with a -100mS predelay and one with no predelay. The former can be used for Live controlled Reason synths, the other for self playing Redrums etc.

This was all too much of a hassle for me, so I sold my copy of Reason and work with VST in Live exclusively now. :-(

thracks

Post by thracks » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:
This was all too much of a hassle for me, so I sold my copy of Reason and work with VST in Live exclusively now. :-(
That's too bad. Reason is a great program. I will continue to use it with DP, but for now, Live won't be getting any love from Reason here. I look forward to a fix.
rictheobscene wrote:
Yo thracks:

Welcome to the forum. You are an asset to any group you choose to be a member of.
Thanks ric. Yours is a familiar name. Is it the MMV group, or the KLC group :?: Anyway, good to be here.

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm

thracks wrote:

Thanks ric. Yours is a familiar name. Is it the MMV group, or the KLC group :?: Anyway, good to be here.
MMV and Reasonfreaks.

I had been on the low for a bit, but I am back.
Last edited by rictheobscene on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:27 pm

I made a track that rewired Reason (using reason's own sequencer and playing out a midi file in Live into NNXT) and used 2 instances of Crystal VSTi and some audio and midi clips and impulse etc in Live and no problems whatsoever. My audio card is just an Echo Indigo IO (nothing fancy) and running it all at 128 samples latency. I did not turn off PDC although I can see how that might help in some situations.

Probably your hardware configuration. That's the best thing about macs, the hardware in one range of systmes is the same and one of the reasons why I'm considering a macbook pro when I next upgrade.