M-ADIO QUATTRO ASIO SLOW

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Twine

M-ADIO QUATTRO ASIO SLOW

Post by Twine » Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:38 am

Is anyone using the M-Audio Quattro USB soundcard with their laptop. It seems to not be able to keep up and glitches up the sound. It even crackles when you drag a sound from a folder over to a track. I don't think it should do this. Any way to fix it?

thanks,
Chad
Twine

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:00 am

I don't have this interface but what about buffer size? Set it to a higher figure...

FORMAT

chris_borgia

Post by chris_borgia » Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:17 pm

yes! I experience the same thing with my Quattro, only not only when I drag with the mouse, but always! I get crackles in the audio and they are not buffer under runs.. it happens at what ever setting I have for the buffer.

I have my system completely optimized for audio and I have the latest drivers.

I also now get very consistent blue screen crash's upon opening LIVE with this new update v 1.5 (did not happen with v1.5b2) I can reproduce this and solve it! the resolution is to open the maudio control panel for the sound card first and then close it and then open live... very not cool.. Please respond with any info concerning this.

::chris::

Tommy Genes

M-ADIO QUATTRO ASIO SLOW

Post by Tommy Genes » Wed May 01, 2002 3:29 pm

I had great results with the Quattro and Live v1.1, once I tried this optimization recommended in the Quattro manual:

--If you use an IDE hard disk, enable Direct Memory Access, or DMA. Go to the device manager in Windows, open the “Disk Drives” list by clicking on the plus sign next to it. Highlight the IDE drive, then click “Properties”. Under Options, check the box that says “DMA.”--

But I am now having a problem with v1.5. When I try to trigger a track for recording via MIDI, either the trigger occurs too late, which means the loop is out of sync, or it triggers and then stops recording almost immediately, resulting in a loop much shorter than desired. This problem only occurs when recording. MIDI control of paramaters and triggering tracks for playback still work fine. (I will be emailing this problem directly to Ableton in a moment.)

I'm also having a problem with the Quattro MIDI Out driver sending sysex to my foot controller. That's OT for this forum, I guess, but I wanted to complain since I haven't received any response from M-Audio support yet.

-- T. G. --

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu May 02, 2002 4:33 pm

Hello all,

The Quattro sport works fine for me on Win2000 and Win98 if I set the thread priority of the driver to "high" (In the ASIO Control Panel --> Advanced button --> Thread priority).
If thread priority is set to "normal" I get crackles for mouse moves, moving windows and moving mouse over the menu.

I will try it on other operating systems soon.

Alex

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Fri May 03, 2002 2:32 pm

I also have the thread priority set to HIGH.

I set it that way when I first installed the interface - after all my music is a high priority right? - so I didn't think of it right away as a possible fix.

I also have Windows 98 Lite (http://www.98lite.net) on a second HD partition with just about every Windows feature turned off that possibly could be. I think this helps a lot too.

-- T. G. --

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat May 11, 2002 12:42 am

Hello together,

I found another issue concerning the behaviour of the quattro sport on Windows XP.
It seems that beside the fact to set the thread priority to "high" instead to "normal" you should login as administrator instead of "normal" user.

On my machine (P4 1.6 Windows XP Pro) I get a lot of clicks and pops by moving the mouse ovver the menu or open/close windows running Live as "normal" user.
As Administrator everything is fine. I get more than 80% cpu usage without click and pops.
Same behaviour with other audio software I tested (Reason, FM7, Cubase).

Hope this helps some of you
regards,
Alex

Post by Guest » Sat May 11, 2002 6:00 pm

Hi Tommy,
I have a friend who tried 98 Lite but found it is buggy for audio applications. Also, he discovered manufacturers will not provide support for apllications running on 98 Lite. You may find that in spite of the supposed advantages of 98 Lite your Quattro may run better using a supported OS. Just a suggestion.

dp

midiman stuff

Post by dp » Sat May 11, 2002 7:04 pm

All,

i was using the quattro for a while and it worked fine, no clicks or pops, for usually around a half an hour at which time the CPU meter in Live would go to 0% and no audio could be played. if i would restart Live, it would fine.......for around another half hour. i exchanged the quattro for a delta44 and usb midisport 2x2--and the freeze happens less frequently but still happens ocassionally. i have a 800MHz p3 with 128MB RAM running winxp and is optimized for audio. does anyone know what could be causing this??

thanks,
dp

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun May 12, 2002 12:43 pm

Hello all,

I experienced same problem like dp on windows XP. After a while (sometimes just some minutes) the quattro sport goes off. Close and reopen the driver and it is working again for the next minutes. Same problem in other audio software FM7, Cubase.

Another strange thing is the behaviour of sample rate change which is working not right in all audio software I tested.

Alex

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri May 17, 2002 11:47 pm

Hello all,

just two issues concerning the Quattro Sport:

1) The current version of Live doesn't support the 24 bit mode of the Quattro Sport on the PC side. On the Mac it is supported.
The support for the PC will be included in the next update of Live.

2) Some of you have the problem on Win2000 or Win XP that sometimes, after an undefined time (between seconds and 30 minutes) the Quattro Sport goes off and cpu usage display shows 0%. Close and reopen and it works again until it happens next time.
We're in contact with MIDIMAN to fix that problem. So hopefully it's just a question of (short) time.

regards,
Alex

Damonv

Quattro

Post by Damonv » Sun May 26, 2002 10:34 am

Has anyone managed to get the ASIO drivers for the Quattro working with Live on a laptop yet? Under XP it is totally unusable with dropouts and even under Win98 SE I still get glitches when playing more one track. I have been told to give it it's own IRQ but I can't disable the other devices on the same setting. Judging from general comments on these forums do any USB soundcards work satisfactorily with laptops?

Damon