Rewire with Cubase

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Angus

Rewire with Cubase

Post by Angus » Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:50 am

Live seems to work OK as a ReWire slave with Cubase - however, if you try to do an audio export/mixdown within Cubase, it doesn't get the Live ReWire input right. What I get, at any rate, is short bursts of Live interspersed with several seconds of silence.

Anyone else experienced this?

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon May 13, 2002 10:21 am

Hi Angus

maybe you could try a search at www.cubase.net, they have got a great forum. I use logic so I cannot really give you a better answer....

I would however be interested how you use live with cubase? wouldn't it also be possible to run one programme at a time and export files to and fro? with rebirth, this concept of rewire is quite logical, but I can't really see the benefit with live...:-)

FORMAT

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon May 13, 2002 1:19 pm

Thanks for the advice on the Cubase net - I'll have a look.

To be honest I was trying the Rewire setup with Cubase to see if it worked - I haven't really used Rewire before. However I imagine I might use it - Live and Cubase are my main apps. Its one way of getting VSTis working with Live.

Certainly you could export audio files back and forth from one to the other but might that lose the spontaneity factor?

In any event it seems like a bug to me - perhaps I'm not doing something right in the Cubase setup?

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Mon May 13, 2002 6:01 pm

Hi,

Like I posted before, this is a problem of the ReWire specification.
For now there is no way for Live to find out that you are doing a mix down. So Live tries to load the samples in time but because the mixdown runs much faster then realtime you get dropouts.
Probably a workaround could be adding processor load consuming instruments/effects that doesn't produce any sound, so the rendering process gets slower and Live has more time to load the samples. And of course you could render the Live tracks in Live and the rest in Cubase.

Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon May 13, 2002 6:16 pm

Bernd

Thanks for the comments - I hadn't noticed your earlier postings on this matter.

The problem doesn't happen when one uses, say, Rebirth. I guess this is beacause Rebirth is not loading samples as Live does.

The matter is not mission critical however.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue May 14, 2002 7:26 am

Angus,
I tried the same in Logic yesterday and of course it didn't work either.... so for once, Cubase and Logic users are having the same problem ;)
What do you think about the potential of Cubase SX? I just cross-graded from Steinberg to Emagic by sending them my dongle, so it's not an option for me :lol: , but it looks like Cubase users will get to enjoy Mac OSX support first

Cheers,
F.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue May 14, 2002 6:09 pm

Format

I'm a Cubase user on PC- however SX looks very interesting to me - I've have no compulsion at the moment to move to Logic.

To be honest most of my work at present is based on Live - However I resort to Cubase and Wavelab 4 to do some recording or doctoring of midi driven samples from Reaktor or hardware synths (I use the OB12 - its not bad and is good value for money in the UK)

However I'm still a bit puzzled about sound quality in Live. It seems to deliver different sound levels through my MOTU 2408 MKII compared to Cubase. I'm not alone in thinking this. As well as my own stuff I work with the Techno duo Judsn and they've had problems in adapting their material to Live and have, for the time being, abandoned it.

Having said that I find I can produce viable tracks and mixes much more spontaneously and quickly in Live. I'm now planning the setup for some 'live' gigging with it.