Live in Panther = no good!?!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
hat

Live in Panther = no good!?!

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:47 am

Well there you have it, seems my Live 3.0.2 don't like the new cat in the house. I upgraded to Panther a few nights ago and it now takes nearly 2 minutes to load Live, then once the set is open, any little action is extremely sluggish, often the beachball from hell spins for a good 15-30 seconds (if I do a Apple+S, for example). I'm not at all exagerating.

I've had a few issues with Live in the past, which were minor and resolved yet overall, it always seemed pretty stable in Jaguar, but Live 3.0.2 in Panther 10.3.2 does not make for a very creative combination, it's downright unuseable! :(

Any Help from Berlin to Brooklyn?

Cheers!

gest

Post by gest » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:50 am

hey,

it's strange to hear that...i was running live 3.0.2 in osx 10.3 and the start up time in live was a little slow (but nothing abnormal)...i've since upgraded to osx 10.3.2 and now the startup on live is much faster than it used to be...it must be around 20 seconds max or so, and live runs perfectly fine and i haven't run into any problems yet....i don't know if this helps, but it might....

mb.

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:10 am

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:17 pm

Hi hat,

when you could send me the log file of Live "../Preferences/Ableton/Live 3.0.2/Log.txt" (if possible as .sit) I can tell you at least if this long startup is VST related or not.

regards,
Alex

hat

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Thanks Alex,

I guess at this time, altering the preferences is the only option. I will try that and post the results. Perhaps the other Alex would like to see the install log file?

Thanks for your replies, any more suggestions are welcome.

hat

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:24 pm

Alex, you beat me to it! What strange timing - ok so yes, absolutely, as soon as I have a few minutes (I just got to work) I'll be sending you that. Thanks again!

n8 dogg

Post by n8 dogg » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:15 pm

hat -

i'm running live 3.0.1 on a dual 1ghz g4 with os 10.3.2. i have had similar issues in the past when upgrading either the mac os or live versions. i found that trashing the live preferences file (i know it's a pain) seemed to resolve the sluggish launch issue. give that a try (and perhaps archive your old prefs in another location just in case) and see if it helps.

n8 dogg

hat

Post by hat » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks dogg,

I did exactly that and it took care of the problem. Not only that, but Live now loads in about 10 seconds! 8)
Also wish to point out that Alex over at Ableton was very helpful in trying to help me via email, which makes for an even greater customer experience.

hat

Post by hat » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:57 am

I guess I should have held back some of that enthusiasm from earlier. While Live boots much quicker now, it's appearing extremely sluggish now. Those damn spinning beachballs, any little move I make results in one of those, then I sit there like a moron waiting for 20 seconds so that my miniscule eq cut can finally be implemented. The sad part is, I don't even have any sends active - no reverbs or delays - just a few eq's and compressors on some tracks, and 2 auto-filters, that's it! My CPU meter showed 52% and things got really slow all of a sudden. If I hit the spacebar, I hear my music but the cursor moves an entire measure ever 5 seconds, like it's trying to catch up or something. Weird...

Panther - meeooowwww.....

Anything I can do to improve Live's performance. Alex? Anyone?

Cheers and your previous help was greatly appreicated. ;)

claudek

Post by claudek » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:48 am

Live and Panther for me is peeeerrrrfect!

hat

Post by hat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:18 am

Glad to hear it claudek, which version of Live and Panther are you running? I'm really thinking it's a Digidesign issue and I posted on their forum as well, hoping to find some answers. Again, thing seem better with Mac's audio out.

I can't even have ONE reverb in my session without it locking up. Not one. I had started a session with merely four tracks in it, playing various loops, my processor is already at 38%, this is with no effects at all.

For a G4 Powerbook @ 1.25ghz and 1GB of ram, this is unacceptable. I may have to downgrade to Live 3.0.1 to see it helps.

To the Abes, any help here would be great. I already love your customer support (Alex has been very helpful with a prior issue), keep it going. Even just a "yes we can duplicate the problem and here's what we think..." would be wonderful. ;)

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:21 am

Best to email support@ableton.com -- you'll probably get a faster answer that way than through the forums.

-Alex

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:56 am

Hi hat,

like Alex R. already mentioned, it's better to contact out support about this problem. But running four tracks without effects and having 38% cpu usage seems definitely to much, at least with a sample rate of 44.1 or 48 khz.

regards,
Alex

madlab

Post by madlab » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:41 am

On the alu pbook 1Ghz with10.3.2 and Live 3.02, the cpu was so high I had to raise the buffers x2 to play song s that worked perfectly before. Even with one or two tracks playing, I got cpu usage about 40 %, like you. So I got back to 10.2.7 and am pretty happy with it. Just my experience. (by the way : motu 828 card).
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

sniffio

help

Post by sniffio » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:12 pm

Random Audio Dropouts is happening with many of the users.
No it doesn't have something to do with the buffer size nor RAM. People with the latest
Powerbooks, people with the latest OSX, people with latest 828mk2 users, are all
complaing about this RANDOM AUDIO DROP OUTS !
This problem has not been fixed for a pretty long time, and people are still complaing.

Check out the forums.
Amazing how everyone is still having the same problem.

DO NOT USE LIVE4 ON STAGE !!
or you will get a very loud RIP from the SPEAKERS.
i repeat,
OSX, MOTU USERS, DO NOT USE LIVE4 ON STAGE.
untill ableton decides to fix the bug.