16 & 24 in same song?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rajcoont

16 & 24 in same song?

Post by rajcoont » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:06 pm

i am working on a song that has pushed my PB over the edge....it peaks to 80% cpu at a few points, at which time everything falls apart. I am looking for ways to minimize this CPU drainage, and i am wondering if having my aiff's at two bit depths causes the computer extra strain, and how much cpu power i could expect to gain by making everything 16 bit....come on g5 powerbooks, this is embarassing for such an expensive machine...

every clip is stored in ram, so HD access is not a problem. it's 12 tracks with a couplle eq's and thats it....just too much for my lappy i guess

i'm not going to bitch about live being especially slow, becuase it's so brilliant in every other aspect, and i know you have said you will be adding altivec to the next version, so you're on it already

thanks

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:08 am

Hi, try any or all of the following -

reduce 24bit files to 16bit

mono any files you may have recorded in stereo but are mono source

render clips that have any "set and forget" plug-ins (ie not automated, EQ compression etc) into clips with their FX printed, then remove the plus from the channel.

set up a RAM disk and play your clips from there (if your clips are already RAM clips, not sure if this will make any difference, but perhaps give it a go.)

What PBook and OS are you using? I'm able to get 16+ tracks and a handfull of plug-ins on my lowly Tibook 500 under OS9.

hope this helps
p
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud