Audio Pops and Glitches

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
ekon

Audio Pops and Glitches

Post by ekon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 pm

I am experiencing audio pops and glitches after playing a newly
opened set for a few bars. I have Live 6.07 on a MacBook Pro - Tiger
10.4.10. Ive noticed that after the audio starts messing up, I can go
in to Live's prefrences and make any change to my audio inputs/outputs
devices, then be able to play smoothly for a few bars until it messes
up again. Ive tried playing through my onboard audio card, aswell as
my Presonus Firebox. Ive also changed all the settings with buffer
size, sample rate, and plug-in buffer size...to no luck. I appreciate
any help you can bring me.

olaui

Post by olaui » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:42 pm

I have practically the same problem on my macbook with Presonus Firebox and Live 5.2.2 ... Well it doesn't happen instantly, only after Live has been running for a while. I get this horrible static noise sometimes for a few bars and then it's ok again. It's a real bummer since I play regularly liveshows and changed to Macbook from PC to get a stable system (the PC had a similar problem too, not static noise but audio dropping out for a moment)

ekon

Post by ekon » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 pm

ok, im beggining to think that this is a problem with my firebox...if i completely unplug it from my computer, then run the sound throught the built in outputs, the problem is eliminated. dont know why this would happen...maybe due to a new software update?? maybe 6.0.7 or Tiger 10.4.10???? anyone have any clue???

Carl

music pitched with external audio device, not with build in

Post by Carl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi,
I have a similar problem.
MacBook
OS X 10.4.10
Miglia Harmony Audio external Fire Wire D/A

When I select the external audio device in the preferences of Live 6,
the song is running circa 10% faster but the bpm value in Live doesn´t change.
When I switch back to the internal audio device everything is fine again.

I´m experiencing exactly the same problem with Traktor 3.

And I didn´t experience it before upgrading to OS X 10.4.10.

And it seems to take after a while to occur.

Regards,

Carl

tomz.biz

Post by tomz.biz » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:49 am

I experience the same problem with an RME FF400 but only after installing the 10.4.10 update.

It might be the os update which is causing these problems.

I can confirm that booting off a 10.4.9 partition eliminates any audio glitches.

pickerin1

Post by pickerin1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:27 pm

same problem here with edirol FA-66 and Live 5.2

At first I thought it was simply because I was using the PPC version of live 5 on my Intel Macbook Pro - since upgrading to 5.2 i haven't seen much improvement

i was worried that it was my FA-66 that was faulty (it's new so that would be a pain in the arse) but sounds like you lot have been having similar problems. again, the audio is fine when used with the built-in output.
once the CPU load hits about 60% everything goes haywire (I will post another thread about this as I'm sure my macbook pro should be able to handle a few audio channels without maxing out!)

since my audio interface is designed to use apple's CoreAudio driver, i have no option to upgrade my drivers to be compatible with intel OSX. I'm not really sure if this is a problem or not but if anyone can shed some light on the matter i would be extremely grateful

cheers

ekon

Post by ekon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm

Well, it looks like a few people are also having similar problems...Hey Ableton, any help here??? Ive already sent you guys and email. If anyone has got any suggestions for fixing this problem, please help! Im sure we would all appreciate it very much. Thanks

pickerin1

Post by pickerin1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:00 pm

guys check this out

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9738922-7.html

Sounds like it could very well be related (The security update that Apple issued a week and a half ago apparently caused some audio problems on Intel-based Macs - makes sense as all the reports here aren't much more than a week old)

I'm installing the fix now. fingers crossed it does something!

pickerin1

Post by pickerin1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:57 pm

ok, checked it out - its still happening

after about an hour of use sound starts dropping out every few bars and then coming back, poppy and glitchy

can i confirm this is what other people are experiencing?
or shall i call edirol to get a refund for my fa-66?

cheers

ekon

Post by ekon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:23 pm

yeah, i just updated, and the problem is still there...just as it was before. im about to email ableton back and see what they can do. I will let you guys know...

Josh Von

Post by Josh Von » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Guys ...

I notice most of you in this thread have low post counts, perhaps you havent searched the board for "glitch" "pop" "dropout"

Go ahead and search - these kinds of issues have been going on for a long time. This is probably also why you are not getting a lot of response on this
thread ...

ekon

Post by ekon » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Josh Von wrote:Guys ...

I notice most of you in this thread have low post counts, perhaps you havent searched the board for "glitch" "pop" "dropout"

Go ahead and search - these kinds of issues have been going on for a long time. This is probably also why you are not getting a lot of response on this
thread ...

Yea, did that before I started this post.

Anyways... Still no luck from the Ableton guys. So, im talking to the Presonus guys to se if its a hardware problem with my Firebox. Anyone else looking in to this being an Apple problem??

ekon

Post by ekon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Ok, im only experiencing this problem with ableton and the firebox. So, its a problem with the combonation of the two. My firebox works fine in Bias Peak 5. But the same problems are there if I use it with Live. Please help!!!

ekon

Post by ekon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:43 pm

OK, another update here. I only seem to be experiencing these problems when the set is around 30-40% cpu. The Presonus guys have no idea what is going on here either yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks