Rendering / Warp

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
spkey

Rendering / Warp

Post by spkey » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi,

sorry for this - I guess not a bug but a problem that confuses me to bits.

The problem is this:
1. I'm in a 128bpm project and render a midi track.
2. I then preview the resultant audio track at 128bpm and warps.
3. I change tempo to 120bpm and works fine.

My question is this (and I have been using Live for some time and have also read the manual but still no understanding of this simple thing):

1. How am I supposed to render a track and KEEP the original tempo? Any settings in my Preferences / Options?

Many thanks in advance

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 am

Hi,

I'm not clear about the question, so I'll try to describe how it works.

If you work on a set, and the tempo is 128, when you render it, you'll get an audio file which tempo is 128. Then, you can, if you want to, import it in Live, and Warp it. Only then you can 'change' its tempo, but if you play it unwarped, or play it outside of Live, it should be a 128 BPM track. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

spkey

Post by spkey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:56 am

Hi Amaury,

thanks for your speedy reply.

I have rendered my midi channel while on a 128bpm. The reason I rendered it was because I worked on a particular sound that came from a DEMO vst that was about to expire. Being quite pro-active I rendered it many times both with and without the effects. Also rendered the whole track as one single chunk of audio and each individual bit separately.

The result is when I get it back to my 128bpm project it sounds wrong. There is this 'underwater' or 'pumping' effect applied to the track. When I put in into Audacity for example it sounds ok. Other users in the General Threads have suggested that I am experiencing warping.

Indded as soon as I deactivate warping for that particular track it sounds ok in terms of sound quality but out of tempo. Having rendered the track so many times I am particularly confident I rendered it in a 128bpm track.

So I was wondering whether there are any settings I left out from options/preferences or whether there is a some other issue I am not aware of.

Thanks again for your patience.
sp.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:02 pm

spkey wrote:Hi Amaury,

thanks for your speedy reply.

I have rendered my midi channel while on a 128bpm. The reason I rendered it was because I worked on a particular sound that came from a DEMO vst that was about to expire. Being quite pro-active I rendered it many times both with and without the effects. Also rendered the whole track as one single chunk of audio and each individual bit separately.

The result is when I get it back to my 128bpm project it sounds wrong. There is this 'underwater' or 'pumping' effect applied to the track. When I put in into Audacity for example it sounds ok. Other users in the General Threads have suggested that I am experiencing warping.

Indded as soon as I deactivate warping for that particular track it sounds ok in terms of sound quality but out of tempo. Having rendered the track so many times I am particularly confident I rendered it in a 128bpm track.

So I was wondering whether there are any settings I left out from options/preferences or whether there is a some other issue I am not aware of.

Thanks again for your patience.
sp.
Hi,

If you render a track at 128, playing it unwarped in a set which tempo is 128, the track should be in sync. Can you re-try with a new set (create a sound, render, open it in a new set which is at the same tempo). There is no option to change about that.

Then, if you use 'complex' as the Warp mode, it is possible that the sound is not exactly the same even if the clip is actualy not time strectched (if its tempo is the same as the set's tempo). Use any other Warp mode for a neutral operation.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team