UAD-1 mono plug-ins bug v6.09

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djsynchro

UAD-1 mono plug-ins bug v6.09

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:40 am

Hi,

Using mono instances of UAD-1 plug-ins when stereo is not needed conserves DSP (in the case of the Cambridge as much as halving it).

In Ableton Live UAD mono plug-ins have a bug where changing parameters on one instance will change the parameters on another instance.

It used to be that a higher channel would change a lower channel.
A workaround suggested by someone on the Ableton Live forum was to drop a mono instance of a plug into channel 1 and disable it. I tested this and it worked, but after using about 5 or 6 instances the behaviour would return.

The latest bug fix of Ableton Live, v6.09 still has the bug but there are some changes:

An instance of a mono plug-in on lower channel will now usually control a HIGHER channel. I tested dropping the same mono plug-in into 16 channels and changing the parameters on all of them, changing parameters on channels 1-15 will change the same parameter on the plug-in inserted on channel 16.

So I thought the workaround would now be be to insert a mono plug-in on the highest channel and disable it. Unfortunately, this is not so, it seems a lower channel always (usually?) controls the ACTIVE instance in the highest channel.

I have emailed Ableton about this before (and will mail them again) and they told me it seems to be a problem on their side. If any Live users want to test and post their findings, please go ahead. Wasting precious DSP on running stereo instances when mono would suffice is not good!

Lastly, when adjusting parameters on plug-ins using my BCF2000 running in Mackie/Cubase emulation mode it doesn't seem to happen, only when changing parameters on the plug-in GUI.

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 am

Note that Universal Audio just released version 4.9.0 of their software that fixes this problem.
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com