Orange dot and Rewire driving me nuts...

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
richardbrown

Orange dot and Rewire driving me nuts...

Post by richardbrown » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:37 am

Hi all.

I'm having no luck whatsoever resolving my issues with the orange dot and Live 6 or 5 running as a Rewire slave to Cubase SX3.1.1 on OSX.

If I hit play in Cubase, the orange dot appears 'late' in the sample (see http://www.djmixsessions.com/fuckingdot/dot1.png)

If I hit play in Live, the orange dot appears slightly 'early' in the sample (see http://www.djmixsessions.com/fuckingdot/dot2.png)

In both cases Live is obviously running out of sync. I'm aware of the keep and revert buttons but the problem reappears after stopping and starting Cubase.

I've searched in the FAQs and forums and there seems to be lots of questions to this problem but with no answers.

Frustratingly, Live 4 is rock-solid as a Rewire slave but obviously I'd like to be using the latest version.

Thanks in advance

Richard Brown
G5 Dual 1.8 / 1.5GB / 10.4.6 / 828-II / UAD1 x 2 / Stuff....

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 am

Hi,

The way Live's Session view works is not quite the same as a traditional timeline based solution, as you may already know. The thing is Live will retrigger clips at their beginning at each restart. So I can think of this concerning your issue: if you start Cubase in between two bars, Live retriggers clips and they get out of sync with the global beat count, thus the FOD.

Would it be what's happening to you? Do you see the orange dot if you start the transport on a full bar?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

richardbrown

Post by richardbrown » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply, but to clarify further...

I'm always starting Cubase on a full bar.

Also, if I start Cubase from bar 1 (as opposed to say, bar 9) I get behaviour more like in picture 2.

Also, the orange dot is never in *exactly* the same place (but is at roughly the same place), even when I start Cubase OR Live at exactly the same point.

FWIW, I've been a Live user since version 1 and this problem has only existed from version 5 onwards. To be honest I've been using the workarounds of either using V4 in Rewire or running Live on another machine since then, but I really need to get to the bottom of this.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi,

How is the Launch quantize setting in the Transport bar set, in Live? And in the clip detail view?

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

richardbrown

Post by richardbrown » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm

Launch quantize setting in the Transport bar is set to 1 Bar
In the clip detail view it's set to Global (I've tried changing this to 1 bar no difference).

A little more playing around has also revealed that....

1) Audio dropped or recorded into the arrange view works perfectly. I only normally use session view so never thought to try that.

...and now back in session view...

2) If at any time I re-press the play triangle, the clip starts to play in time. Or if I start Cubase with the clip not playing and then press the play triangle it starts OK.

3) It's the same business with an Impulse pattern as with audio.

4) The Live metronome is always in time with Cubase.

So it would appear that - Live is actually syncing fine by Rewire, BUT clips in sesion view that have their play triangle lit when Cubase starts seem to get the random orange dot treatment until they're retriggered.

richardbrown

Post by richardbrown » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Any more thoughts on this Amaury?

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi,

No, I don't have any further idea... Is PDC active? Seein the Option menu, it's called 'Delay compensation'. But it should not be active while in Rewire slave mode...

I'll file a bug report and hopefully we'll find something.

For the time being, I'm afraid you'd have to retrigger your clips. It's a bit hard to know where is there a mistake. Something to do with the current position report between the two applications.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team