Live 6.10 + Vista + sampletank = problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
nolus

Live 6.10 + Vista + sampletank = problem

Post by nolus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:26 pm

On my old pc I was using this combination quite happily. (ST 2.1 live 6.10 and XP)

That PC got broken and the insureance replaced it with a PC runing Vista.
I downloaded sampletank 2.5 and live 6.10 installed and reauthorized everyting.

Now I have the following problems

* I have to run Live using "run as administrator" otherwise sampletank reports a registry error when I try to open it - I suspect this is a problem with sampltank (i'll contact ik multimedia about this).

* runing as adminstrator all seems to work well - but when I attempt to reload a saved set Live says it can't locate the sampletank plugin. even though it still appears in the browser and can be loaded ok once the set has opened. trouble is I have to reload all the presets everytime which is pretty useless.

This seems more likely to be a problem with Live but I'll also write to IK Multimedia about this as well.

Any advice or help will be much apreciated.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

Herne

Post by Herne » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:01 am

This is Sampletank not running properly under Vista. If it was programmed properly under XP it would work under Vista too, but programmers take lots of shortcuts and use tricks which work, but are not recommended.

As a workaround try downloading TweakUAC and set UAC to quiet mode. Then R click the sampletank program [not a shortcut, but the actual executable], choose properties, and on the compatability tab select run as administrator. Do this for all executables for sampletank.

If this doesn't work it's up the programmers to patch it. Good luck.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

nolus

Post by nolus » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:35 pm

thanks for that, i'm on it now.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

nolus

Post by nolus » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm

Ok got it working

For the benefit of anyone else having these problems:

following Herne's advice I set the compatability options for SampleTank.exe to run as administrator. This fixe it for the sampletank stand alone program but I still had problems opening it in live.

So I set live to run as administrator as well (you can't set it on the sampletank dll) Ok now sample tank opens ok in live as well.

but live still could not find sampletank when you reopen the set.

discovred a .ini file in the sampletank folder which contained a line to set the name of the VST plugin as "SampleTank 2.x" tried to remove the space but could not save the file.

In order to edit the ini file I moved the vstplugins folder from the programfiles directory to my documents folder.

Changed the file to remove the space character from the VST name - to make it the same as the dll file name" and now it all works.

[edit also had to reset the vst plugin directory in Live and the instruments folder in sample tank.]

What a pain!

Herne

Post by Herne » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 am

Glad you got it working mate, nice detective work.

Did you have ownership of the .ini file? That's the usual reason for not being able to edit it, or having to force 'Run As Admin'.
If you change user names, or run under a different user programs installed under another user, you may have similar problems with other apps. Another workaround is to take ownership of the folder [VST in your case] and allow full control. This is a security thingy, just the same as Linux.
Live 6.10 | Vista Ultimate | Reason 3 |
Athlon 64 X2 6400 | 4GB DDR2 8000 |
Axiom 61 | BCR2000 | PadKONTROL |

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:43 am

I only have the one account which is the original one with admin rights.

My vsts were stored in a c:/program files/vstPlugins can't remember the details it was getting a bit late but in the end I thought "perhaps it won't let me change it because it is in a sub directory of program files". It was just a guese really.

I did change the protection mask on the file to allow all access to all users, but it still said it couldn't save it. Also tried removing the read only attribute from the folder but it kept reverting. very frustrating hour or two - but in the end that made it all the more rewarding when i did manage to get it working.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help on this.