Ableton 7 and Battery 3 exporting problem

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Toob

Ableton 7 and Battery 3 exporting problem

Post by Toob » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi guys,

I'll just go right ahead and tell you what problem I'm facing. I'm using Ableton Live 7.0.1 as a sequencer and Native Instruments Battery 3.0.2 as a VST-plugin within Live. My problem seems a bit strange but I'll try my best to describe it well.

Live and Battery work perfect together when creating drums patterns using the MIDI note editor and Live plays the created patterns on the fly without any problems. However, when I'm exporting audio (which are recorded in the arrangement view) by clicking on "File>Export Audio/Video..." Live isn't exporting the audio properly. The result: the .als file sounds different than the .wav file. When I'm listening the exported .wav file it sounds really messy. It seems like some delays I programmed within Battery are messed up.

While I'm playing the pattern on the fly and while I'm exporting the pattern the CPU level never rises above 25-35%.

It gets even more complicated after I decided to do a little test. I created an AUDIO track next to the Battery 3 MIDI track. I told Live that the AUDIO track should subtract the audio from the Battery 3 MIDI track using the “Audio From” dialogue box. I armed the AUDIO track and recorded the Battery 3 MIDI track within Live to the AUDIO track. The next thing I did was recording the AUDIO track (just the AUDIO track, not the MIDI track) to the arrangement view. I exported the pattern from the arrangement view as audio and the .wav file sounded just like it should.

I think the latter is quite a detour and I want Live and Battery to work efficiently. Does anyone know this problem or a suitable solution? I’ve been searching on the internet but I couldn’t find a similar problem.

Thank you for your time and effort,

David.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Try updating Battery to 3.0.3 and see if the problem's still there...

ew

Toob

Post by Toob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:34 pm

I've been checking the sample rates and I found something interesting. If I export the MIDI track (which is recorded to the arrangement session view - not the internal recorded AUDIO track) at a sample rate of 48000 hz it sounds exactly like it should. However, this is a little bit strange because the samples I use in Battery 3 are all 44100 hz. Then I started searching through Live's preferences by clicking on "Options>Preferences...>Audio" and I found a section called "Sample Rate" with the preferences for the "In/Out Sample Rate" and "Default SR & Pitch Conversion" which are set to 48000 hz and Normal. Could this be the reason why 44100 hz samples from Battery 3 should be exported at 48000 hz to sound right? Another weird thing is that the user isn't able to change the "In/Out Sample Rate".

Can you guys please comment on these findings?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Yep, that would be the reason.

And, you should be able to change your I/O sample rate to whatever your card allows; I can here...

ew

Toob

Post by Toob » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 pm

How does the I/O Sample Rate affect the exporting-process if I may ask? (because my samples are in fact 44.1 khz and I have to export the MIDI track to 48 khz)

And what version of Live are you using and do the available sample rates depend on your soundcard? The only options I've got is 48 khz.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:27 pm

The I/O sample rate's the sample rate of your soundcard. That's also your project sample rate (for obvious reasons).

Right now, I'm using Live 6, but I did give the Live 7 beta a few test runs.
And yes, the sample rates are strictly soundcard dependent. For example, with Kore (which is what I normally use), my choices are 44.1, 48 and 96 with ASIO drivers. For my Terratec, it's 22.05, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96.

The only reason I could see you locked into a 48k rate is if you're using a Creative card; Creative only does 48k/16 bits and 96k/24 bits with most of their ASIO drivers.

ew

Toob

Post by Toob » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Thank you for clearing this up and thinking with me from the beginning. My problem is solved by selecting another audio input device and audio output device in the audio tab from the preferences menu. Now I can alter my in/out sample rate to 44.1 khz. This way I can export my files at 44.1 khz without any problems. So again.. thanks EW.