Using Recycle as audio editor - Few problems. . .

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
benjamingordon

Using Recycle as audio editor - Few problems. . .

Post by benjamingordon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:39 pm

I use recycle to cut all of my loops and samples. I have very minimal applications installed on my mac so as not to clutter it.

When i click edit on a clip in the clip view, recycle opens and i can edit the sample. When i click on save in recycle it asks to save as a rex2 file. It is possible to export as a wav file but i have to find the original file and when i ask to save as the original file name, it asks me if i want to replace the original. When i say yes/replace it saves a file names 'originalfilename' 001.wav. When i then go back to live the file has not changed as the file in recycle has been saved as something different.

The only way around this is find the original, delete it and then rename the newly saved file exactly as the original was named. When i then open up Live it updates the file and all is ok.

This seems like such a longwinded process to go through just to crop or edit a file. . .

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben

justin

Post by justin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:53 pm

use the crop function in live 7...

:roll:

DrXparaMental

Re: Using Recycle as audio editor - Few problems. . .

Post by DrXparaMental » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

benjamingordon wrote:I use recycle to cut all of my loops and samples. I have very minimal applications installed on my mac so as not to clutter it.

When i click edit on a clip in the clip view, recycle opens and i can edit the sample. When i click on save in recycle it asks to save as a rex2 file. It is possible to export as a wav file but i have to find the original file and when i ask to save as the original file name, it asks me if i want to replace the original. When i say yes/replace it saves a file names 'originalfilename' 001.wav. When i then go back to live the file has not changed as the file in recycle has been saved as something different.

The only way around this is find the original, delete it and then rename the newly saved file exactly as the original was named. When i then open up Live it updates the file and all is ok.

This seems like such a longwinded process to go through just to crop or edit a file. . .

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ben
Ben
I am a recycle user, but ONLY for the Rex2 conversion of loops to be used in Stylus RMX. I would think that Recycle would be, in a comprehensive sense, a pretty lame editor. Maybe Adobe Audition 3 would make a better choice in terms of a Live designated editor. Like the other poster said it's really easy to use live for the basic stuff like cropping. The more customized sound design and destructive editing might best be done in Audition or Reaktor or something a little more capable & compatible with Live.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Hi. Thanks for all getting back to me.

Is there no free audio editors for mac that are very low CPU?

I know that recycle is pretty lame for editing. I dont understand why, if live has a crop function that you would need to open up an external editor?

Also, how would i crop part of a loop? I basically have imported a wav file which is an old blues record and i want to cut the first 12 bars or so. . .

How would i do this?

Thanks again, Ben :)

laird

Post by laird » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:07 pm

Arrangement view:
highlist a portion of a track, or adjust clip start/end markers.
Right click (or select from drop down menu), select CROP SAMPLE
done.

benjamingordon

Post by benjamingordon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm

Then how do i get it into the session view as a warped clip?

Thanks, Ben