Track routing leading to incorrect plugin delay compensation

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
a1studmuffin

Track routing leading to incorrect plugin delay compensation

Post by a1studmuffin » Mon May 26, 2008 7:12 am

Hey everyone,

I'm running Live 7. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem too:

With plugin delay compensation turned on, if I create a complex plugin chain (let's call it SYNTH) and route its output to a new track BUS1, then route BUS1's output to Master, it correctly compensates for plugin delay and all is well and peachy in the world.

However, if I add more routings to that path, eg. SYNTH -> BUS1 -> BUS2 -> Master, it won't compensate correctly for the plugins any more. At least I think that's what's going on - the timing of the SYNTH track will be out of time with the rest of the song, as if plugin delay compensation were turned off for the SYNTH track.

The reason I want to do this is often I'll have a few synths or drums routed through one bus (for compression, effects etc), then I'll want to route the contents of my whole track through a single bus (which I call UNMASTERED), and that bus will be routed to the Master, which will have a limiter on it to bring the volume of the track up to commercial levels (useful for DJing, promos etc). The reason for this is so that I can export a track via Render -> All Tracks, and I get all the WAVs I need - stems (for remix parts), an unmastered WAV (to send to the mastering house), and a rough mastered WAV (for DJing etc). But currently if I add in that extra routing (everything into the UNMASTERED track before the Master), the timing on tracks that have already been routed gets messed up.

Is this a known bug and has anyone else experienced it? I've just had a play and it only seems to happen with certain plugins, eg Otium FX Compadre Beatpuncher (Windows VST). Could this be the plugin not reporting the amount of delay it incurs properly? And if so, why would the plugin correctly delay compensate with only 1 routing instead of 2?
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon May 26, 2008 4:47 pm

I had a similar problem with a very basic set. I couldn't get help here, you better email support as i did. They will ask you to send some stuff, including the set.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Mon May 26, 2008 5:42 pm

which soundcard are you using? More often than not this is caused by crappy cards. I've got similar problems with my m-audio home setup and none with the Rme fireface setup in the studio.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

two_masks

Post by two_masks » Wed May 28, 2008 1:05 am

I just discovered that I'm having this exact problem! Running Live 7.0.5 (7.0.7 is giving me glitchy renders), I'm trying to mix my tracks down to four busses for performance, but the timing keeps sounding slightly off and I couldn't figure out why. This is incredibly frustrating! Will email support ASAP.

Live 7.0.5
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
Motu Ultralite