Mackie MCU Zoom

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
e.maynard

Mackie MCU Zoom

Post by e.maynard » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:36 pm

The Vertical Zoom expands the track(s) but not the waveform. Is there a fix for this on the way?

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Hello,

yes, another user recently discovered this bug. Should be fixed with the next update.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Great!

Many thanks!

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Are we getting any closer on this?

Please?

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Soon?

Crash

Post by Crash » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Hey, they told you they know about it when you asked. They could have left you clueless like everyone else, so they made you special. What else do you want? :P

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Good point.

Maybe with 7.0.11?

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:51 pm

I wonder if this is fixed in 7.0.12?

Crash

Post by Crash » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 pm

Ableton did not even care to give you feedback for more than four months. Most likely they just decided internally that this isn't a bug but a feature. :lol:

Seriously, if this isn't fixed yet and you need that feature, then try to get some feedback by Email. If that doesn't work see if you can phone them without spending a fortune on phone-bills. You had this bug publically acknowledged and as a paying customer you can expect them to deliver a fix in a reasonable time-span. You even showed lots of patience without starting to rant or anything. You posted reasonable requests on the status of the bug-fix months after Ableton said it would be fixed "with the next update".

Ableton could really treat you with a bit more respect. :?
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 am

FFS, give it a rest Timur. :roll:

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Excuse me?
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Support got back to me (us) on a few things:

Q: The Vertical Zoom expands the track(s)
but not the waveform. Is there a fix for this on the way?

We initially thought that there would be a simple fix for this, but according to our developers it is unfortunately not as easy as it looks like. The only thing I can say right now is that we are aware of the issue and will hopefully find a solution soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Q: I've noticed that Unity gain in the Live UI maps to +5db on Mackie MCU control surfaces. (Mackie's Unity 0 = -4.0 in Live)

Yes, this is true. As you already might have noticed, the maximum gain on the MCU scale is +10db, whereas Live's maximum is +6db. If a fader is at +6 in Live, it will send out the maximum controller value and thus drives the motorfader to +10db (or respectively 0db in Live goes to +4db on the MCU). It would in theory be possible to simply subtract 4 db and then send out the corresponding controller value, but this would be wrong as well (as it does not take the exponential volume curve into account and the fader would not respond at lower values). The only proper solution is to rescale the range internally. However, at the time when we implemented support for the Mackie Control, there was no way to rescale the controller messages and this is still not possible. Btw, you will run into similar problems if you map an ordinary MIDI controller to a volume fader: it is impossible to reach exactly 0db. We are working on a solution which rescales exponential volume curves to MIDI controller values and this should also provide the necessary functions to eventually change the MCU script.

Looks like the future may have some fixes?

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Yes, it's promising that Ableton has not forgotten about the Midi Gain 0dB thingy. But don't expect this to happen anytime soon. It's been some months ago that I discussed exactly these problems with them and they are busy doing higher priority stuff.

I can also well imagine that this is not such a trivial problem to begin with, so it may take some time until they actually even start to tackle it.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:23 pm

We are working on a solution which rescales exponential volume curves to MIDI controller values and this should also provide the necessary functions to eventually change the MCU script.

This sounds like they have a plan at least.
That's good.

e.maynard

Re: Mackie MCU Zoom

Post by e.maynard » Fri May 08, 2009 5:22 pm

Any chance we will ever see this fixed?