Sync trouble 7.10

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
andreX

Sync trouble 7.10

Post by andreX » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 am

I´m having some unreliabilites when syncing two computers running Live 7.10. It usually works but sometimes is offset by about one beat. This is not reproducable by now for me.

Here´s the setup:

Computer 1 (Midi Clock Master):
Powerbook 1,25GHz, 10.4.11, 1GB Ram, Live 7.10, MT4-MIDI Interface

Computer 2 (MIDI Clock Slave):
MBP 10.5.4, 3 GB Ram, Live 7.10 - Novation ReMote25 as MIDI Interface

Like I said, it usually works fine, but sometimes there´s this offset that can only be cured by restarting live on the slave computer.

Unnecessary to explain that this causes unwanted situations on a gig (happened to us last weekend)

Is there anyone else having this issue?

a.
MacBookPro 15" retina 2013, MacOSX 10.13, Faderfox LX1, LV1, VDMX, Live 9

jok

Post by jok » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Andre,

I would recommend to reserve a Midi port exclusively for syncing, as Midi is a serial protocol.
Have you tried syncing your Mac with a regular network cable using the OS X build-in Midi over network feature? (audio midi setup=> midi=> network)?

Best,

Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:28 pm

If it's turned on then turn off "Control Surface" output for the Remot SL and try again. Also set the Remote's Global setting "USB1To" and "USB2To" to OFF if the Remote is connected via USB.

Live sucks hard when the Remote is used as a Control Surface, can't deal with the lots of sysex that has to be send. Hell, it even messes with timing (notes playing late) when using the computer keyboard for playing when the Remote is set for Control Surface output.

Lame, Abes, lame! :x

jok

Post by jok » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Crash,

sorry for your troubled personal experience with the Remote SL. No need to generalize here though.
If your looking for help, please feel free to contact support@ableton.com with your specs as described here:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/support_contact

Best,

Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Crash

Re: Sync trouble 7.10

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 pm

andreX wrote:Live 7.10
Holy Elvis! Get rid of that version as fast as you can! Use 7.09 until a crashfix arrives! 8O

If turning off Control Surface output helps then you can workaround the problem by using a virtual midi port as output for Control Surface and connect the Remote to that virtual port via some software that allows connecting ports (not Live, cause it doesn't allow shit when it comes to Sysex and several other Midi stuff). No idea which Mac software allows that, you can use Reaktor or Max or maybe the Mac allows these connections via Midi setup anyway.
jok wrote:sorry for your troubled personal experience with the Remote SL. No need to generalize here though.
If your looking for help, please feel free to contact support@ableton.com with your specs as described here:
Thanks, but no.

andreX

Post by andreX » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Not sure about Holy Elvis :o)

Anyway, the ReMoteis not the SL, it´s the old ReMote 25, so there is no Control Surface activeted in Live.

Never tried the network sync, as MIDI used to work fine for me for years (I remember how bad it was in version 2...)
MacBookPro 15" retina 2013, MacOSX 10.13, Faderfox LX1, LV1, VDMX, Live 9

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:28 pm

You might be able to fix it without restarting Live. FF or REW on the Master. That will send a new position counter via Midi to the Slave.