Render sounds different than Live

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
MetalCube

Render sounds different than Live

Post by MetalCube » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm

I am having trouble rendering my mix to sound the same as it does when I play live... It sounds very different and not in a good way... What settings should I use?

966sf

Post by 966sf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:33 am

You should be more specific. What does your mix sound like. If you're getting distortion, make sure you're not clipping at the mix bus. If you are over 0 dB there, you will get digital distortion when rendering.

If you're looking for settings. Choose your dither based on what kind of music you're doing. Powr-2 works well for most modern music.

Also make sure you are mixing on good monitors in good room. If you mix on monitors without a flat response in a room with bad acoustics, your final mix will sound drastically different on a different set of speakers.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

MetalCube

Post by MetalCube » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:01 pm

The problem is it sounds different with the same set of headphones? Reason was just like "Render" and you were done with a perfect loop. Now it sounds... off. Theres no clipping over Odb

jok

Post by jok » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi MetalCube,

as 966sf wrote it would be extremely helpful to know in which way the rendered file sounds different.

Best,

Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

jerrycherry

Post by jerrycherry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:12 pm

For tech-house/ minimal productions which dither option I haveto choose?

Triangular or POW-r 2?

pj_player

Post by pj_player » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 am

jerrycherry wrote:For tech-house/ minimal productions which dither option I haveto choose?

Triangular or POW-r 2?
if you don't know, you won't notice the difference

abernstein

i have this problem too

Post by abernstein » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm

i have a piece that is all MIDI except for one section, which is recorded cello. the midi and cello are in tune when played in live but when i export it the cello sounds a different pitch, something like a whole step up. i have been trying to fix it but cant find any reason that it would be doing this. anyone have any advice? i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

jok

Post by jok » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,

welcome to the forum. Which version of Live do you use with what kind of computer/operating system? What´s your audio hardware in use? Also, what sample rate/bit depth is your recording in and what settings do you use in the export audio/video dialog?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

abernstein

Post by abernstein » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:02 pm

hey jok, thanks for replying so quickly. i am using live 7, on a macbook running osx 10.5. the cello was recorded into live using an m-audio fast track interface. the sampling rate is 44100, the bit depth is 24, and the exporting is set to Powr-2.

jok

Post by jok » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Albernstein,
the sampling rate is 44100, the bit depth is 24, and the exporting is set to Powr-2.
Do the audio settings apply to the original recording- or to the export-settings?

In order to narrow down the problem (possibly a sample rate problem), please try to export to a file with the exact same sample rate/bit depth settings as your original recording.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

abernstein

Post by abernstein » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 am

the bit depth and sample rate of the original recording are 16 bit 44100, but i have been trying to fix it realized something that i think changes the nature of my question.

listening to the rendered files i realized that it is not that the cello recording that is different than in the arrangement, but all of the sequenced midi is a different pitch when rendered. i dont know why this would happen.

so, the cello recording has no problem, but the rest of the piece, which is all sequenced midi, does. i am using a LinPlug vst sampler.

any thoughts? thanks so much for your help.

andrew

jok

Post by jok » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi Abernstein,
is only the sequenced Midi playing the LinPlug out of pitch, or do you use Live midi devices as well which are not in pitch, too? Does the problem also occur if you freeze the Midi tracks before rendering?
Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

abernstein

Post by abernstein » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm

I am only using the LinPlug vst for the most part. the only Live instrument i am using is impulse and it is not tonal, and does not seem to be altered at all. listening to it, it doesnt seem like the whole piece is changed, but just parts of it. and sometimes it seems like its fine, and there is no difference. i thought i was going crazy, and just listening to it too much while mixing it, but i've played it for other people when it was different and they noticed too. and a few minutes ago i played the first note of the piece in live and then immediately played it in itunes, and it was definitely different, but now it is the same, and i didnt change anything. so maybe i dont have a technical problem, but a mental one.

the premiere of the piece already happened and it was sounding fine, so i guess no harm no foul, but not knowing what is going on with this has been driving me crazy. thanks again for your help.

jok

Post by jok » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:23 am

Hi abernstein,

do you have any external Midi controllers connected to your computer? If so: does the problem also occur when you disconnect these?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com