[amo] looper assign to foot pedal

arcadekid

[amo] looper assign to foot pedal

Post by arcadekid » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 am

when i assign looper main control button (big +) to foot pedal it doesn't let me overdub

when i click on the button with mouse it does.

tried 2 foot pedal scenarios (one was fcb1010) other was momentary switch in a footswitch input on other midi controller.

mocker

Re: [amo] looper assign to foot pedal

Post by mocker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:54 pm

arcadekid wrote:when i assign looper main control button (big +) to foot pedal it doesn't let me overdub

when i click on the button with mouse it does.

tried 2 foot pedal scenarios (one was fcb1010) other was momentary switch in a footswitch input on other midi controller.
Same here, impossible to use the big button in any foot controller configuration. After I press a switch (either a midi note or a cc) It seems it's receiving 2 messages and goes back to its previous state without notice and erratically. It does work with the Mac kbd and with a midi keyboard. Hope this is adressed in the next beta. Thanks…

Using Live 8 b15 and a 10.5.6 Macbook with 3Mo ram

mocker

Post by mocker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Unfortunately, just tried b16 and no correction. Looper is unusable with a foot controller.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 am

Hi,

Th Fcb1010 should work with the default preset. Otherwise, what kind of message does it send? Can you change these?

To mocker: without knowing what kind of controller you use, nor what kind of message this controller sends, I can't tell much to help you.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 am

Same problem here with the doubled midi signal. I use the "sustain pedal" of the Novation Remote Zero SL with a footswitch. When I step on the footswitch and release it, it should send CC64-127 and CC64-0 (at port 2 of the Remote ZSL). but when I monitor the midi signal in midipipe, I see that signal twice when I press the pedal once (even when Live is not running) - this might be the cause that looper's multi-transport button doesn't work.

I think Live cannot be blamed for this, the footswitch or the novation midi driver is faulty. But it would be nice if Live could filter out doubled midi signals (identical signals that come so fast that it is clear that it is a fault).

Peter
Live 12.0.1; Push 2; Mac OS 12.7.4

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 am

Hi,

You definitely need a momentary control for the Looper, otherwise, each press would be interpreted as a long press, which would lead to unexpected behaviour.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

mocker

Post by mocker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

Th Fcb1010 should work with the default preset. Otherwise, what kind of message does it send? Can you change these?

To mocker: without knowing what kind of controller you use, nor what kind of message this controller sends, I can't tell much to help you.

Regards,
Amaury
Hi thanks for answering. I'm using a Roll's MidiBuddy (sends program changes) through Bome Midi Translator. If I convert my pc to a keystroke, it doesn't work (though a kestroke from the Mac kb works). If I convert it to a note on AND off, it works except I can't "long press" anymore to undo. I'm sure there's a solution inside MT but I need to know which direction to work it out.

musiker01

Post by musiker01 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:56 pm

@mocker

You need to configure the midi controller in such a way that it sends a Noteon message when you press it and a Noteoff when you release it. I do that with my FCB1010 and it works fine except for an issue when I try to clear the buffer while the loop is stopped (it starts playing again before the buffer content is erased) but I'm afraid that's not solvable within the current design.

bulo

Post by bulo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 pm

it works fine except for an issue when I try to clear the buffer while the loop is stopped (it starts playing again before the buffer content is erased) but I'm afraid that's not solvable within the current design.
That problem is noy about the FCB, but the Looper itself.

I personnaly use midi note for the switches and control change for the pedals on my FCB, and everything is working like a charm.
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:24 am

bulo wrote:
it works fine except for an issue when I try to clear the buffer while the loop is stopped (it starts playing again before the buffer content is erased) but I'm afraid that's not solvable within the current design.
That problem is noy about the FCB, but the Looper itself.

I personnaly use midi note for the switches and control change for the pedals on my FCB, and everything is working like a charm.
Hi,

Please, let's try to stay on topic concerning bug reports. Please discuss this matter somewhere else.

I'm interesting in knowing if people having problems with foot controllers have tried using momentary controls, and if it works fine for them, which it should. If there is a bug, we'd like to know where it is and how to reproduce it.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 am

works perfectly here, Boss FS-5U connected to a Remote zero SL... on OSX

mocker

Post by mocker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 pm

Hervé wrote:works perfectly here, Boss FS-5U connected to a Remote zero SL... on OSX
Can you tell me if you change anything in Live regarding the controller that is sent to control the "big button" ? I mean Absolute, relative, etc. Because I tried a FS-5U yesterday, connected to my MidiBuddy and it didn't seem to work. Will try again. Thanks.

That doesn't explain why the loop still plays a bit after a long press instead of erasing silently.

mocker

Post by mocker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 pm

I confirm : a momentary switch like the Boss FS-5U works with looper. Except the bug (?) I mentionned earlier (Loop still playing when erasing with a long press).
Not OT in my opinion : Be aware pluging the switch into an old Rolls Middy Buddy footswitch doesn't seem to work properly (I know some people use it). I had to use my Korg keyboard's pedal IN to make it work.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:25 pm

mocker wrote:I confirm : a momentary switch like the Boss FS-5U works with looper. Except the bug (?) I mentionned earlier (Loop still playing when erasing with a long press).
Not OT in my opinion : Be aware pluging the switch into an old Rolls Middy Buddy footswitch doesn't seem to work properly (I know some people use it). I had to use my Korg keyboard's pedal IN to make it work.
Hi,

I'll move the thread away as the original problem seems to have found a happy end by some controller configuration, after answering this:

mocker, I'm saying it's OT, because in the beta bugs forum, we like to stay focused on one issue per thread. It's already quite hard to follow up this way, and if we start answering different things in the same thread, we'll lose the purpose and won't ever be able to close any thread. For instance, sure, your other thing concerns mapping the big button, but, we can't mix all issues even about the same topic. Like, if someone has a problem with Automation fine tuning, it's not a good idea to discuss other automation problems in the same thread, even if it's about breakpoints. Do you see the point?

Now that the thing here is closed, here we go. The Looper starts from one press on the button, when it's stopped. That is how it works. So, when doing a double press, well, there's no way for Live to tell that the first press was meant to be followed by a second, until the second occurs.

We can continue this discussion in the beta discussion forum, but I'm afraid there's not much we can do for that, currently.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team