[5184] L8 uses 30% more CPU than L7

SubFunk

Re: L8 uses 30% more CPU than L7 - hope it's just the beta!

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's beta software, ya buncha whiny little school girls.

stfu and test.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
oh really?

man don't make yourself to a fool. no offense, but Live was never pretty in terms of CPU use, so it's ok to push a little the button that they nmake an effort to maximise it as much as possible.

and that is all.

ok, back testing :mrgreen:
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:04 pm

stfu and test.

exactly, BETA. that means we have to whine about everything that doesn't work the way it should. it's called beta testing. stfu is wrong, we have to say it aloud and bugreport it. the forum here is to collect similar bug-experiences to see if certain bugs are very widespread.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

johnnytoobad

Post by johnnytoobad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Geez, I just like programming cool sounds and writing beats. What do I know from CPUs and whatnot? All I can say is the last beta I downloaded runs slower than molasses in January.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:54 pm

davepermen wrote:

stfu and test.

exactly, BETA. that means we have to whine about everything that doesn't work the way it should. it's called beta testing. stfu is wrong, we have to say it aloud and bugreport it. the forum here is to collect similar bug-experiences to see if certain bugs are very widespread.
this is a bug report?

or this?

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=110045

it had to be said, don't get your panties in a knot.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:13 pm

no, but behind the scenes, bug reports do happen. and here, we talk about it. that's the reason for the forum. some get angry and all, this is all fine. never was different on any other forum anywhere in the world wide web.

http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:27 pm

stfu and test.

ROTFLOLWPMP! (Rolling on the floor laughing out loud while peeing my pants!) (that's a new one I just picked up from the urban dictionary)

Stop discussing whether something is or is not a bug, and get back to finding problems which may or may not be bugs so that you can not discuss those too!

:lol: :P
Professional Shark Jumper.

deva

Post by deva » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:24 am

stfu and test.

You sexist fuck! It's the little boys like you who are whiny!!

fragchamp

Post by fragchamp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 pm

This is discussion not bug reports so what is wrong with this thread? If the release version has the same performance hit I won't be upgrading.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:57 pm

fragchamp wrote:This is discussion not bug reports so what is wrong with this thread? If the release version has the same performance hit I won't be upgrading.
because it's beta software, it's not finished, it's broken, it sucks. doing performance ratings on it is kinda pointless, of course Live 8 beta is going to be worse than Live 7 which is not only out of beta, it was worked on for MONTHS afterwards to make it better. Live 7.14 is better than Live 7.0. on the other hand 7.0 was almost unusable for me, while 7 beta 21 was fine, that was disheartening. I wouldn't buy it as it is, maybe. but that's one of the motivations to beta test it, make my complaints now, make sure MY specific gear works.

it is interesting to see a number like 30% and props to the thought that went into some ;) (that's a joke) of the other posts. I guess if you were to make a standard beta test .als you could run it with each version and report the load. then turn off one feature at a time to isolate an area of Live 8 beta that's bloated.

BUT you make a good point, it's only discussion. so why can't I post to remind people that it's only beta software?

any detailed info on how/where Live 8 us slow? anything that the programmers can narrow down? there isn't one line of code that says "waste_CPU = on"

/rant ;)
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:12 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
fragchamp wrote:This is discussion not bug reports so what is wrong with this thread? If the release version has the same performance hit I won't be upgrading.
because it's beta software, it's not finished, it's broken, it sucks. doing performance ratings on it is kinda pointless, of course Live 8 beta is going to be worse than Live 7 which is not only out of beta, it was worked on for MONTHS afterwards to make it better. Live 7.14 is better than Live 7.0. on the other hand 7.0 was almost unusable for me, while 7 beta 21 was fine, that was disheartening. I wouldn't buy it as it is, maybe. but that's one of the motivations to beta test it, make my complaints now, make sure MY specific gear works.

it is interesting to see a number like 30% and props to the thought that went into some ;) (that's a joke) of the other posts. I guess if you were to make a standard beta test .als you could run it with each version and report the load. then turn off one feature at a time to isolate an area of Live 8 beta that's bloated.

BUT you make a good point, it's only discussion. so why can't I post to remind people that it's only beta software?

any detailed info on how/where Live 8 us slow? anything that the programmers can narrow down? there isn't one line of code that says "waste_CPU = on"

/rant ;)
you're right Tone, but i can't help to notice that the cpu usage while playing the same live 8 demo has increased on my system by 25-30% between b15 and b18... that's worrying me. i am a programmer and i know the effect of solving a bug without addressing design issues. i've seen it a lot.
What's also disturbing is that we find issues that should have been detected by the "sophisticated" regression testing suite ableton claim they have. simple usage issues. i guess there's a long way to go before final release. or at least i hope so.

slirak

Post by slirak » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Tone Deft wrote:because it's beta software, it's not finished, it's broken, it sucks. doing performance ratings on it is kinda pointless, of course Live 8 beta is going to be worse than Live 7
I take it you're not a software developer. I am. By trade. I wrote my first line of code 1981.

Doing performance ratings on beta software is most definitely not pointless, where on earth did you get that idea???

In fact, I'm currently involved in a very large and expensive development project where doing performance ratings is our prime goal!

In that particular project, I wouldn't say that our debug code's CPU overhead is even measurable.

Why do you make the conclusion that a 30% overhead in L8bxx is down to it being beta? It sure may be, even twice the overhead could well be. Fuck, ten times could be as well. But without indepth knowledge of the source code, you cannot possibly tell.
which is not only out of beta, it was worked on for MONTHS afterwards to make it better. Live 7.14 is better than Live 7.0.
Yeah. But not when it when comes to CPU consumption. I've used all versions of L7 on several systems, both Mac and PC. I haven't seen even a 0.5% difference when it comes to CPU consumption between various versions on either platform.
it is interesting to see a number like 30% and props to the thought that went into some
Pure and dead simple math son. Like eight grade math. STFU. Please.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 pm

wow.

anyone else want to address señor limpdick?

soundcloud.com/tone-deft

bulo

Post by bulo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 pm

I take it you're not a software developer. I am. By trade. I wrote my first line of code 1981.

Doing performance ratings on beta software is most definitely not pointless, where on earth did you get that idea???

In fact, I'm currently involved in a very large and expensive development project where doing performance ratings is our prime goal!

In that particular project, I wouldn't say that our debug code's CPU overhead is even measurable.

Why do you make the conclusion that a 30% overhead in L8bxx is down to it being beta? It sure may be, even twice the overhead could well be. Fuck, ten times could be as well. But without indepth knowledge of the source code, you cannot possibly tell.
Thanks, that's what I tried to say.
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:18 pm

:roll: you're so special.

I'm an EE, 36 years old, like limpdick I've been writing code since computers were made 'personal.' when we do projects first I design the hardware, then I write the software. you know why they call it SOFTware, because it's not hard, it's easy. software guys are a dime a dozen.

put your dick away and go beta test.

stfu with the Armchair Product Manager routine, this is getting retarded.

soundcloud.com/tone-deft

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 pm

davepermen wrote: Image

Love it.
Professional Shark Jumper.