[amo] Moving the start marker of a clip over the left

3phase

[amo] Moving the start marker of a clip over the left

Post by 3phase » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:36 pm

In Arrange Live 8.09

Moving the start marker of a clip over the left border is not possible anymore, When an another clip is at the right border...
While fine tuning the startposition of vocal samples this hurts for example..

This was different in the past... and i cant see a new feature in that.. especially because we had a similar graphics bug lately...

Its a bug and no feature because:
The content within one clip should or have to be independant from other clips..
so a neigbouring clip shouldnt effect the possible marker movements of the edited clip in any way.

the clips have theire independent borders.. so what happens within this borders should be exclusiv domain of the edited clip .. nothing that needs rearanging of neigboring clips..

wright? so it is a bug?

If not please change that anyway,
thanks
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Amaury

Re: Arr Bug: Moving the start marker of a clip over the left

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi,

Expanding a clip by moving its start marker in the detail view has always been limited by the neighbouring clip. You can resize a clip this way, but the rule is that it would never make the next clip shorter.

Alternatively, you can "slide the region", meaning, moving both the start and end marker at once, by pressing the Alt modifier, then dragging one of the two markers.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

3phase

Re: [amo] Moving the start marker of a clip over the left

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:22 pm

ok..

than its a feature request.. because when i want to move the startmarker over the left border i dont want the neighboring clip to be slipped.. just having the start event a tiny bit later.. the end marker should follow that comon user wish and adjust automatical without beeing selected If necessary the slip can be done afterwards if necessary..

I think this would result in allmost all standard user manipulations in the desired result with less moves..

your selection of start end end marker suffers a bit from the fact that you are usually zoomed in to close to grab the end marker when doing this kind of fine tunings.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 pm

3phase wrote:ok..

than its a feature request.. because when i want to move the startmarker over the left border i dont want the neighboring clip to be slipped.. just having the start event a tiny bit later.. the end marker should follow that comon user wish and adjust automatical without beeing selected If necessary the slip can be done afterwards if necessary..

I think this would result in allmost all standard user manipulations in the desired result with less moves..

your selection of start end end marker suffers a bit from the fact that you are usually zoomed in to close to grab the end marker when doing this kind of fine tunings.
Hi,

I did not talk about selection. I talked about pressing a modifier before dragging the start marker. That slides the region, e.g., it moves the end marker too, even if not visible.

There are wishes that this should be the default behaviour, without modifier, and that the modifier operation should allow moving one of the markers only - so, the opposite as today's behaviour. That may get implemented some day..

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:40 pm

a modifier?? the alt or the apple or the control key?
or waht is a modifier?

sounds like a good trick anyway. as long it works without zooming out and back in again i am fine... or moving clip boundarys forth and back just to move a thing 10 ms...

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:09 pm

3phase wrote:a modifier?? the alt or the apple or the control key?
or waht is a modifier?

sounds like a good trick anyway. as long it works without zooming out and back in again i am fine... or moving clip boundarys forth and back just to move a thing 10 ms...
A modifier is a "modifier key" shortcut. On a Mac, it's SHIFT, Cmd, Alt (Option) and Apple keys. I believe the one I meant is Alt, on the Mac, but I don't have one in front of me. Trying should give the answer.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:37 am

ok..thanks