Follow Action that occurs at clip end (no wraparound!)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
TheRulah

Follow Action that occurs at clip end (no wraparound!)

Post by TheRulah » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Need to add the ability to set follow actions that occur at a clip end rather than a predetermined time. This seems like a very basic capability that Live should have, but as of version 9.1.7, it does not have it. If this simple feature was available, I'd get more use out of this tool and would upgrade from "Intro". I am using Live to control my EZDrummer midi drum beats (verse, chorus, fills, etc) and I am trying to duplicate the feature that my 1986 Casio keyboard had where if I hit the "Fill" button a little late in the measure, it would simply play the remainder of the fill and go back to the drum beat at the beginning of the next measure, staying perfectly in time.

S4racen

Re: Follow Action that occurs at clip end (no wraparound!)

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 am

If you're going to upgrade from Intro to Suite you'll get Maxforlive...

And then here's the solution...

http://isotonikstudios.com/modular-series-follow/

Cheers
D

TheRulah

Post by TheRulah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am

Right. I see a $499 pricetag for this feature and say "ah, forget it".

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:48 pm

TheRulah wrote:Right. I see a $499 pricetag for this feature and say "ah, forget it".
Who told you £11.99 amounts to $499? Because they were tripping,
It's more like $18.
Make some music!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:13 pm

I think he means to upgrade from Live Lite to Suite....

Nothing in this world is free, £11.99 is much more reasonable but it can't be done without M4L...

Cheers
D

TheRulah

Post by TheRulah » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Correct. I shouldn't have to buy M4L just for the sake of getting a Follow Action to occur at clip end. This should be part of the base Ableton product.

I'm guessing that most people who buy EZDrummer are keyboard and guitar players. Imagine - they would have the power to completely control their drummer in a live setting while playing their instrument through the use of Ableton... it would be AWESOME. But you really need this "Follow Action at Clip End" to do it, because in a live setting, you don't always hit the button (or foot pedal) right on the measure... you need some forgiveness. You can't have your Drum Fill wrap around to the beginning of the fill if you hit the button a bit late.

I think Ableton would tap into this fringe market (people like me) that would be using Ableton for a "non-traditional" application such as this.

It's hard for a hobbyist like me to spend $499 on one thing (I have more than that invested in EZDrummer, but built it up over 5 or 6 years...). I'm thinking that if this worked correctly in Lite (one column of 8 buttons), I'd eventually get the itch for a full control pad and an upgrade to Ableton Standard to control 64 different drum phrases per song!

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Legato mode seems perfect for the example you give.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

TheRulah

Post by TheRulah » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Legato mode provides the ability to jump in at the same time on the meter, but it won't jump out at the end of the bar - that's the problem - it wraps around... it HAS to play the exact amt you specify (eg., 1 bar) no matter when you jumped in...

TheRulah

Post by TheRulah » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:33 pm

Bought a BeatBuddy. Does exactly what I couldn't do with Ableton... if I come in late with a Fill, it ends at the end of the measure and doesn't wrap around.